Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello all,
I'm approximately 6 weeks out from my 3 week Lake Superior adventure and am currently installing a bilge pump in my PA. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with solar battery chargers? A KFS rep. tells me I should look for something in the +-3 watt range to maintain maximum battery life and recharging cycles. With all the choice options available out there, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or make specific recommendations. Any input would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey GR8,
It's me HH. Just got home and checked postings. Saw you question about charger. Go here:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0066692020427a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=solar+battery+chargers&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0
Brunton is good stuff and they have a 5 watt-er and good reviews. A plus is that they're weatherproof.
I'm going out to go take pics of pump etc. now, will post later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, HH,
I checked out the Brunton SolarFlat which led me to other Brunton solar chargers. They also have a product called the SolarRoll (also waterproof) which comes in 4.5, 9 and 14 watt models that can be rolled up and stored in a tube. They're a bit pricey but will definitely save some space over the SolarFlat. Moosejaw currently has all Brunton products on sale at 20% off and I'm waiting to hear from them as to whether the 9 watter becomes a 4.5 when rolled up half way. I can use the 9 watt model to charge my cameras, VHF radio, GPS and other electrical devices. The sale runs through 6-13-10 if you decide to treat yourself! Reviews were glowing!
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Brunton-SolarRoll-Flexible-Solar-Module_10037314____?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GoogleBase-_-na-_-Brunton-SolarRoll-Flexible-Solar-Module&ad_id=GoogleBase

Cheers for your help and I'm sure I'll be in touch again soon!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, that's cool! I didn't know those could be had. Pricey is a bit of an understatement but , I may just have to break down and get one. Can't do it during sale time have to wait till next month. I do see one in the future though!
Thanks, catch U L8TR,
HH