Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is anyone interested in trying to get some Adventure Island racing going on Lake Ontario?

When I got my Adventure Island last year from Fogh they told me they had some other buyers looking to race, but I haven't found them yet. From what I've heard most of the AI's here end up in the Muskoka lakes - probably being chased around these days by G-8 security boats. But there must be some down here sailing on the big lake.

I used to race H-16s here back in the 70s - in fact we won the Canadian Championships twice - and I know there is still active Hobie racing here, especially at Etobicoke Yacht Club - but I don't know of any racing of our goofy looking little kayak trimarans.

I have tried racing mine here in Mississauga - but it isn't really satisfying trying to race them against a mixed bag of Wayfarers, CL-16s and SR-21s. I'd be more interested if some other HMAI's came out - or even if one did, and we could call it a match race.

The proposed rules that the Maryland people have posted look sensible, though to get things going on a simple basis I'd suggest no rules at all regarding peddling. Sail it, peddle it or paddle it, or a combo of them. It would just be fun to get a group of the boats on the water together.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm on Lake Ontario, picking my AI up from Fogh after their demo day on Father's Day (sometime during the middle of that week). I've got no experience sailing, other then when my dad used to take me as a kid on a little dinghy. I'm sure that I wouldn't be much of a challenge to race against, but it couldn't hurt my experience level to get together with you and others like you. If there were more then just us, the goal for others could be to stay ahead of me, and try to catch you!

I don't want to give out my contact information here, and after I pick up my boat, I'm away until early July, but if you want to get together after that, I'll keep an eye on this thread when I'm back from vacation around the 4th of July and we could arrange a place to meet up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The information in the post below may help you locate people...

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=26090

Hobie Cat 14T
Home built sailboat (in progress)

Edmond, OK