Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After replacing most of the standing rigging and doing a refit, I am looking at getting this mast to rotate easier. I have allways rigged the mast with tight , therefore the leeward sidestay is not firm (but not loose) when sailing .

One problem seems to be though, with the rig this tight, the mast does not rotate easily and has to be pushed around manually - particularly in anything under 10 kn of breeze :? :x . There is also a thin nylon bush in the mast step, which seems to be helping. Without this, it was binding up and would "bang" into position when sheeting in. :?

How much would loosening the rig help? Is it the right thing to do? Has anyone lost a mast by being "too loose?) I am conserned that it would apply unneeded play / movement in the step and potentially sheer the rivits holding it to the cross beam.

How loose is everyone elses? On one of my other racing boats, a cat rigged racing scow, the rig is so loose that the leward chainplate is at 60 degrees when sailing. :shock: ! The over rotating mast is held in position by a 1/4" needle about 2 " long, so cant jump around ( or out for that matter )

Thanks for your help guys, Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In high winds I really honk down on the jib halyard to get the rig tight. Presumably you have a good bearing? I've had really excellent results wtih plastic bottlecaps like these:

I find the mast rotates quite readily. I don't know what you mean by a brush though. :?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JaimeZX wrote:
I don't know what you mean by a brush though. :?

I think he means "bushing", which is called a bearing (for 18's) or teflon chip (for Waves, 14's, and 16's).

I'll let the racing ones among us answer the rigging question.