Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am finally wrapping up modifications to a Hobie 21/22/23. More about those later. Anyway, there is a race called the Texas GT 300 and as usual the Hobie 21 is not allowed to participate. I have decided to follow the big boys on their F18's with my Hobie 21. I have a ground crew doing the driving between way points. I have a GPS tracking device and GPS and EPIRB ready to go. If there are any other adventurous Hobie 21's that want to cruise with me then let me know. You can go to the TEXAS GT 300 website to find more info. Obvoiusly we will give the racers plenty of ocean and not interfere with them in any respect. Nor will we get any rescue help. You will be on your own. Rough seas are unlikely, winds at the max 25 knots more likely 10 to 15 knots. I have a crew and plan a short 50 mile warmup on Memorial day weekend. Let me know.

Mydaddycat :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The H212SE has also been banned from the Islander Reef Run on April24th, an 80 mile race from Islamorada to Key West. They are allowing daggerboard and spinnaker equipped boats only, no exceptions. Additionally they are requiring $100K in liability insurance.

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK...I am curious now. Any more info on the Hobie 21/22/23?

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got it to the H21/22 part. I am working on the stern extentions right now and they should be ready in about two weeks. I will post some pictures later this week.

Mydaddycat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try looking at these for the Hobie 22

[29f070ae752a4113993879414bf9a8a1]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The photos did not post...... I would like to see it though. It may be something that I may be interested in doing to my boat.

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you would like to see the pictures email me, [email protected] I cannot figure out how to post the pictures. I would really like others to see what this boat looks like with a raked bow and a decent paint job.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Image posting faq: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Let see if this works! 8)

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am intrigued by the H21/22. I was wondering what thought process or design criteria you used on the bow extension. Do you have drawings or plans that I could work from?

Thanks

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are no plans and I did not have a real plan. First you need to notice that the lip edge is no longer there . This was filled with foam, beveled to form a smooth surface and the fiberglassed with a layer of cloth. Filled, sanded and painted. This was done on both sides of both hulls. For the bow extensions I just added foam to the original hulls and used an electric planer to get the shape I wanted and then you fiberglass over this with epoxy and glass cloth. Then fill, sand and paint. There is no easy way to do this. You have to go back pretty far from the front of the bow to make the transition unnoticeable. You also need to continue the rocker in the front so that you can still have the ability to have the boat turn. I am not having problems turning the boat with the rocker that I have. It has to be slower than the original bow but I cannot see any difference. Personally I only did this to make the boat look more modern and hopefully add to the resale value.

One problem that I am having I that I really think that if I hit someone with these pointed bows I am going to seriously hurt them. So i need to be really careful. Also I am at a club with a dock and it is very tricky turning the boat into the wind and getting off the boat and stopping it before the bows hit the dock. Fortunately the docks are floating docks with styrofoam supporting the docks so right now I have a coush for the bow cushion for the bow tips. The bow tips can be rounded to make this a lot easier.

I haul a lot of people when we go down to the Texas beach and that is why I went to the 21.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a close look at the Hobie Wildcat when it came in at Cocoa Beach during the Tybee 500 race, and liked the way they did the front end on it.. It seems to be very meaty up front to provide more flotation to prevent pitchpoling, then tapers rapidly to a point. It also has almost a slotted front end, where it is wide at the bottom for wave piercing, with a narrower slotted area in the middle then it goes wide again at the top with a sharp edge from narrow to wide, almost like a spray rail. They did finish first overall on that leg. I can't tell yet if its the boat or the sailors but it appears to be in first place ahead of the I20's and a Gen II F-18 Capricorn for the race. I will try to post a picture.

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One week to go and the boat is in pieces on the front lawn being rerinspected for any cracks or deformities. This almost seems like a recipe for a mess. Not enough practice time, fabricating a new rudder system as I cannot stand the standard Hobie rudder system and making a new pole for the spinnaker and a new snuffer. I am a bit worried if I can get all of this done in time. The weather looks like its going to be a drifter but its still too early to tell. No hurricane thats for sure. But I can always cancel and give up so its no big deal. at least I MAY not be last, there is a Hobie 18SX entered with a spinnaker and NO WINGS. He thought it was a good idea to crash the race with the HOBIE 22.

Good luck bad luck how can you tell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bummer, no wind and difficult surf. Got the boat set up and and all set to leave the beach as the officail boats were ghosting buy in nonexeistent wind. We just could not get the old girl out throught the surf. We tried paddleing and pushing. The depth of the water is much deeper than where we normally sail in Port Aransas. Finally after thirty minutes we took a big wave that pushed us back on the beach and broke the rudder housing. We came spent about an hour fixing the rudder housing and by then what little wind we had was gone. It would have been difficult to get through the surfline but then do what. I am sure we would have been able to drift. My crew was bummed and thought that we would be coming in very late as we had waited another hour and there was still no wind. We were prepared for 10-15 but not this.

We could have gone on to tne next waypoint and started again but I just do not have it in me. Looks like I was not up for this after all. Sure seemd like a good idea at one time.