Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... I searched and didn't find anything so here goes:

I have a recently purchased 2007 AI and an older Hobie Outback. Future considerations should include replacing the Outback with a second AI - I would like to take them both with us when Wife, lunatic chocolate lab, and I go away (first time - upcoming 4th of July Weekend / future - many adventures). We'll be travelling around 1,000 miles.

I include the lunatic Lab because she gets the whole back of the SUV (minus what room she'll give up for supplies) and ... well, this should explain it

So, has anyone J-Racked an AI ? 2 AI's ?

Would I be better off side by side ?

Edit - I have a pretty good sized SUV ... and Envoy XUV which is a long wheelbase Envoy/trailblazer with retractable rear roof and dual action tailgate/swinggate instead of liftgate

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

Last edited by PassWind on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't see a problem with J-racking a couple of AI's. I plan on putting an AI and Revolution on the roof rack of a Civic this summer and they'll be going side by side. So it's possible to go side by side too. My only problem is going to be the Ama's. I might have to strap them, one to each boat. Just be sure to use quality roof racks and accessories. And don't use a bow and stern line as the main tie down, those should not have much pressure on them due to the possibility of the boat warping.

J-crades should allow you to have room on the roof for the Ama's as well as placing the boat in a position that makes it less likely to warp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's how Kayaking Bob does it:
reconlon wrote:
How's this:
There is a Thule Stacker (#830) hidden there in between the two center hulls. I put 4 on often and think I can fit 5 (maybe with one being a TI :) ) but I will probably be close to the load limit of the system. I think a trailer may be my next savings goal once the TI is here as I'm not getting any younger. Plus, I'm running out of places to hold all the other gear, and those 14' TI ama.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use J-racks exclusively. I've carried an AI and a Kona (quite beamy) simultaneously. I usually carry the amas inside the car (Passat wagon). FWIW, the Thule Outriggers make solo loading quite a bit easier.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Were you able to find something for your XUV? I have a 2004 XUV and am trying to find something that I can use to load the Mirage on top. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I get another car until I buy the Mirage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

smittycr wrote:
Were you able to find something for your XUV? I have a 2004 XUV and am trying to find something that I can use to load the Mirage on top. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I get another car until I buy the Mirage.

Hello Smitty - sorry for the late reply as I didn't see your post

Here is a link to a post on how I solved the lack of support for our GREAT XUV's

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=26776

Basically - there is nothing "officially" that will bolt to the factory XUV bars as I checked with my local dealer who carries both Yakima and Thule.

That said, anything that will bolt to "aero" style cross bars should bolt to the stock factory roof rack.

Do you have a Factory GMC rack ?

As you will see in the link, I made my own roof rack legs (using the mounting "cams" from the factory rack) and then bolted on Thule cross bars, cut to length to use their Hullivators.

If you need help, feel free to contact me

A L A N AT I T N N E T W O R K S D O T C O M

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV