Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, I am going to try and get the pictures of my Quest rudder modification posted. I removed the Bungee from the rudder, and then drilled a new hole in the rudder frame for the new bungee to pass through. I attached a longer bungee then treaded it through the new hole and then forward to an anchor spot more forward on the rear deck. The modification works well. I can pull the rudder all the way inside the housing and there is still enough zip to get the rudder itself out past its center of gravity so it can fall in place. BTW, I like using the jam cleat on the rudder line. Simple and effective and never needs any care.

Notice the Scotty base mounts on the left side of the cockpit and on the center console. When I use my fish finder, I can mount it on the left or in front of me. Which ever way I mount the ff use I the other mount for my primary fishing rod. My battery pack consists if eight C-cells. This gives me 8350 ma's of power (as opposed to 2500 ma for AA"s) which result in over 40 hours of run time and they weigh only about a pound. The popular deer feeder battery weighs about six to seven pounds.
The forward center mount might be used for a sail in the future.

BTW, my GPS is a Garmin GPS Map 76S. It has been very useful to me and has 24megs of download space. I have detailed maps of the bottom half of Texas loaded and still have a lot of storage left.

Before mods
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... 75_IMG.jpg

After mods
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... 76_IMG.jpg

My Yak
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... 81_IMG.jpg

Where I fish from
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... 82_IMG.jpg

Comfy seat
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... 83_IMG.jpg

Tankwell etc.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... 84_IMG.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent work!!!

Tell me, do you find the seat a big improvement over Hobie's seat?
I'm currently looking at another, but still undecided.

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome job kyt! Big difference in the rudder retraction now over the stock Hobie setup. I like it! And thanks for the pics--very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wolfie-Yes, It makes a BIG difference. I had a veru bad case of the flata$$ after about two hours with the original seat but I last for four or five hours with the new seat. It is about one inch thick and made of a gel foam. Happy butt!!!

Alpalach- Thanks and thanks for the help!! llt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kytflyr: Nice setup...

I have to say, I am intrigued about something that you've done that I haven't seen before. I noticed the rod holder (the one actually holding a rod) is side-mounted to the hull. I was not aware that Scotty offers a base where you place the actual rod holder in the side of the base. Also, what did you use to mount the base? I was thinking well nuts, but wasn't sure if they are made thin enough to fit through the base screw holes (I'm assuming you could modify it).

I'd appreciate your input on this one. Thanks.

Rol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep sound--all the Scotty mounts are drilled thru the side so the rodholders can be side-mounted if you wish. Very nice, especially if you have limited flat gunwale space, as is the case in a Quest, and in the Adventure to some degree. The Scotty base is drilled for 1/4 inch screws or bolts, so you can use some pretty hefty hardware to mount these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sound-As Apalach said, the scotty base is already drilled. I thru bolted the base with SS bolts and nylock nuts (from Lowes). The regular scotty base can be mounted sideways or strait up and holes/fittings for the holder are already in each mount. When I use my fishfinder, it occupies that holder and I use the rearmost mount in the center consol for my fishing rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kytflyr wrote:
Sound-As Apalach said, the scotty base is already drilled. I thru bolted the base with SS bolts and nylock nuts (from Lowes). The regular scotty base can be mounted sideways or strait up and holes/fittings for the holder are already in each mount. When I use my fishfinder, it occupies that holder and I use the rearmost mount in the center consol for my fishing rod.

Thanks guys. I took a ride to my local yak dealer and noticed just that when I really looked at it close enough. It's certainly a nice option with limited space, as I have a fishfinder, GPS, and another rod holder already occupying the center console on my Quest.

Rol