Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I see several dimensions being stated concerning how far apart to mount the fore and aft PA cradles from each other.
Can MMiller or someone from Hobie clear the "air" about what is recommended from the manufacturer to best support the PA for both storage and travel needs?

I'd also like to know how far from either the bow or the stern handle that the nearest cradle ought to be once the PA is resting upon both cradles with both cradles at the above manufacturer recommended distance apart from each other.
I'm curious whether this will put one or both cradles directly below a strong point such as a pair of scupper holes or similar?

Also; are we measuring from the cradle bolt holes or one cradle edge or the other?

Thanks again,

CBull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The shape of the cradles will make it pretty apparent as to where they need to (under the PA) the optimal spread between them is 67" / + or - a few inches will still work - but 67" is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

JB;

Just to clarify; 67" bolt hole to bolt hole, right?

With the PA on the cradles; how far from either the bow handle or the stern handle is the nearest cradle? Cradle edge would porbably be easier to measure in this instance?

CBull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, centerline of the cradles... bolt hole.

From another thread in the forums on Pro Angler cradles:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi, CBull,
Because the hull shapes will vary from PA to PA, and to some extent the cradles as well, it would be pretty lucky to pick a number (67") and have the cradles match up perfectly. What I did,and Cracka and Damfisher did before me, is flip the PA over and place the cradles on the hull. Start with the front cradle and place it just forward of the drive well, then place the rear cradle just aft of the cart scupper holes. Now slide each fore and aft until you feel it "settle" into a point where it is making the most surface contact. After following this technique, I found the best distance to centers (bolt hole to bolt hole) to be 65". Keep in mind that once you find the "sweet spots" the cradles may be slightly angled inward towards each other. Check to see if/what that angle is by placing a straight edge across the 2 cradles. Cracka went as far as determining the distance and mounting his cradles to a frame but leaving the cross members adjustable to account for any fore-aft angling. You might benefit from reading the entire thread under the post "Hobie Pro Angler Cradles". If you find yours are angled and don't maintain those angles when mounting them to your trailer, you won't be taking advantage of the full width of the cradles. If you find that they aren't angled, then you're a lucky man and have been spared some extra work!
I hope this was helpful and enjoy those cradles!
GR8 Laker
PS. I'm confident Hobie designed these so that a few inches either way will still give you plenty of support for transit as well as storage..... isn't that right Matt? Also, Matt, is the Hobie gang thinking about doing anything to accommodate said angles in the cradle making process?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Nice detective work. Not something the factory was aware of, so I'll pass this "angle thing" along.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Matt,
I don't know if this "angling" is required in all cases but am sure that Cracka, Damfisher and I all needed to do so. It seemed that the rear cradle was more of an issue than the front in all cases. Also, my rear cradle has a crack/fracture looking defect shooting out from one of the bolt holes that may be a weak spot. Should I document and post, bring it up with my dealer or wait and see? I'm almost healed up from a number of surgeries and wanted to get this "aired" before I put everything to good use.
Be well,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 am 
Site Admin

If there is an actual crack in the cradle. We need to know about it. Contact your dealer with details.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The "angle thing" is definately something that is worth adressing. It is baffling to me why the cradles were engineered without enough angle built-in to them to account for the lateral (fore-aft) curvature of the PA's hull. They obviously are carefully constructed in every other way. ImageI corrected the problem fairly well by using shims. By noting the degree of compression to the carpeting on the cradles, it seems that I have got the angle pretty close, but it was quite tricky.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Matt,
I thought I'd go ahead and post a photo of the crack/defect so you could see what I was referring to.

Thanks,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

This appears to be a fiberglass version... The crack is in the gel coat (white color) and not a structural issue I believe. We now us thermo formed ABS.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the quick response, Matt,
Why the switch to thermo formed ABS? Is it a better product for the same price? If so, can I swap for a new set as these haven't been used yet (I saved the box)?

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

All Pro Angler cradles are glass at this time. We have not yet switched to the plastic on that one. I think the function is the same. Fiberglass is a very time consuming and expensive process, but makes very strong parts. Thermoforming is quicker, so we can handle higher production volume. The material is a little more flexible. We have both process used for many years on Catamaran cradles (much heavier loads). No significant difference as far as I see.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Matt,
I've done all the cradle mounting leg work including the angle compensation so it's best I use the ones I have anyway.

Cheers,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Nice detective work. Not something the factory was aware of, so I'll pass this "angle thing" along.

I have just purchased the PA cradles 7-16-10 and these were just shipped in from Oceanside. My question is: must I deal with the angle compensation thing as in shimming? OR has Hobie mad a correction in their mold pattern? The aft cradle appears to have some angle compensation but I'd like to know from Matt....