Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm interested. I don't think booking is a problem. Should we wait and check the weather, or just book?

I don't remember much of a beach. There were a lot of rocks close to shore, but not much of a problem to put on the wheels and pull the boats up the ramp to the beach. The ramp is a little rough - not concrete, but shouldn't be a problem.

This week, I'll probably stay closer to home and explore local waters with Mark. We plan to go out lake Worth Inlet during the week and sail in the ocean.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ted,

Let's wait to book until this weekend. My wife (Nancy) has a birthday next Tue--the 29th, so doing Tue-Wed down there would be great.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TJ wrote:
For more comfort you could try the small hotels on Sunset Cove in Key Largo. Yo can sample Florida Bay form there. There are a few good restaurants within walking distance from there - Mrs Mack's is my favorite.

Farther down on Grassy Key is: http://www.gulfviewwaterfrontresort.com/ It's reasonable for the keys and is on a pretty cove opening to the Gulf and they allow pets.

Thanks, TJ! Your info was right on the money and we had a grand time down here.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glad you both had a good time. I enjoyed watching the videos. We also had a nice time down there this week. I plan to go back some time in the next six weeks. We didn't get a chance to head out to the reefs because of the brisk winds, but there is a park http://floridakeystreasures.com/Beaches ... each.shtml near where we stayed on Key Largo, but on the Atlantic. You can launch right into the ocean and sail out to the nearby coral reefs. I think the Islands would be be great boats to dive off of, either with tanks or with snorkels.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This was the first time we've been down here with boats of any kind and I was surprised at the lack of Atlantic access (we never paid much attention to this in the past when we were camping down here). Tons of Gulf access is available, but access for the Atlantic-side seems to be in real short supply. We wanted to head out to the reefs (we even brought our snorkel gear), but couldn't find much access.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's usually the case, do to lack of channels and the lack of natural protection for boats. But then, we don't really need a channel or a boat ramp:). If you're still there, try the park mentioned above. It actually does have a ramp.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got my TI! Took it down to the Rickenbacker Causeway yesterday - it's a nice place to launch from but really????? $9 toll for my itybitty kayak trailer???? I guess this IS highway robbery. I'll have to find some better *free* places to launch from. Suggestions welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brady,

Where you are headquartered?. You can get a MIA-Dade county pass to the parks to cut down the cost. I'm retired & get a break on the cost which makes it a great deal. I launch out of Matheson Hammock Park for Biscayne Bay sailing/kayaking. As a group launch for AI/TI users, Rickenbacker Causeway is a good central location.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in Kendale Lakes (west). Matheson looks like a nice place to put it. Hmmm, If I'm reading it correctly the boat ramp annual pass would be $165 for me. I guess maybe I should start south of Card Sound Bridge (I saw some *free* access points there) and maybe Flamingo in Everglades National Park - I already have that park pass, and the boat would be $3 each time to get in there. Might be better to do that until I see if I'm going to go out enough to make the State Park annual boat ramp pass worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brady,

Yes, $165 is a little stiff--depends on how much you will use it. Going out of Flamingo is good, but your gas is going to increase that cost. Bob's Marina, a few miles north of Key Largo only charges $3-5 (I forgot the exact amt) gives you access to Card Sound, and you don't have to worry about your car being broken into.

Be sure to post on the "Florida AI/TI owners" if you have not already done that. The link:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=8187

Are you planning on doing any camping with that TI?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll check out Bob's Marina, thanks! I stuck my name on the list. We are hoping to try some camping down in ENP off of Flamingo next season to see if we like that...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's called South Dade Marina. Don't confuse it with the larger Manatee Bay Marina farther south. There is a large radio antenna marking the spot. It's $5 to launch. Try to follow the tides; it's about a half mile or more peddle through a pretty canal to Manatee Bay and then into Card Sound.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I see it, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If your interested in florida camping in the keys you can stay at Pennekamp. I think they have really great trails for kayaking in the mangroves and if you have the adventure island you could probably kayak out to the reefs a few miles off shore... also if you want to check out the bay side you could cut through Adams cut and take a trip to nest key... if you want to take a kayak tour like 1 or 2 miles from there is florida bay outfitters at http://www.kayakfloridakeys.com/
they even rent hobie adventure islands if you wanted to take others.
in their website they include tours that can go down the keys all the way down to key west i think.