Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Hobie HD (Heavy Duty) cart.

This cart fits the PA forward and aft scupper holes well, the cart locking pin locks well within both scupper hole pairs.

When wheeling the PA longer distances I recommend using the forward scupper hole pair as this seems to better balance the PA and take much of the weight out of your hands, easy one handed push or pull... try it, you'll like it.

Yep the HD cart floats quite well, maybe too well.
I simply leave the cart under the PA and roll the whole rig into the water, paddle out to deeper water so I can engage the pedal fins, then I grab a fishing rod and push one cart leg down with the rod handle end, through the supper hole until I hear the cart bump the underside of the hull and pedal forward while turning hard to starboard or to port and grab the cart out of the water and either strap the cart down aft of my cooler or turn the cart wheels up and slide it back into the aft scupper hole pair.

I like this HD cart for all of the terrain I have encountered thus far, noting that I haven't yet tried beach sand, but will definitely do that in late summer and early fall while going after the Lake Michigan salmonids (and troutids; less than technical speak there).

Looking forward to being towed around lake Michigan this fall.
Pics to come...

CBull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,
I wanted to show you a shoreline photo of the area on Lake Superior where I'll be going on my 3 week solo voyage. On the left side of the image the photo shows rocky shoreline while on the right you can see solid granite. During the 3 weeks I'll be encountering both and everything in between as I arrive at different possible camp sites. My question to you is, would you trust the Trax 2 style cart with the upgraded wheel-eez tires(which I currently own and haven't used) to withstand the terrain and get you through 3 weeks? If not, is it up to Hobie or the dealer to swap the Trax 2 cart for the HD cart? I'd hate to have to buy another cart but if you wouldn't trust the Trax 2 to get you through the journey then I certainly won't! I would be most thankful for your input on this issue.
Concerned,
GR8 Laker

PS. My gut feeling is not to risk it with the Trax 2 and go with the HD cart!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gr8;

That's some beautiful stuff!!! I love that area. South of there in the MI UP as well.
Went to college in Marquette, MI. My grades suffered a bit because of the distracting fishing & hunting activities all around, but I truely learned a lot. Great memories...

How much sand do you think you may encounter in this area, your pic looks to be quite rocky? If very little sand then you may be better off with the HD cart or the HD wheels on your existing Trax 2 cart? Noting that the HD wheels are tubed and may offer a bit more security?

Have you loaded up your PA yet with all of the gear and supplies you may be on the water with or at least some substitute weight placed approximately, to better understand how much weight and the dynamics thereof, the PA and yourself will need to deal with?

CBull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gr8;

Email me if you are interested in swapping carts for your voyage!!!

I'm in the mid MI area and may be in the Grayling area this weekend, hitting some trout water.

No big deal to me since I normally hit boat ramps during the summer.

Wouldn't hurt for me to try the Trax 2 cart...

CBull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gr8,

Don't waste your time with the Trax, it is a piece of junk, especially for that type of terrain. It is good for hard packed sandy beaches and wheeling accross your yard.
I don't know why they even offer it as the main cart for PA, I could see the strain it causes on scuppers in rough terrain causing some cracking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Fyi... The heavy duty cart is THE of choice for the Pro Angler and Tandem Island now, but the Trax (2) is plenty of cart for the Pro Angler. It is preferred for soft sand primarily, its the only cart for that sort of surface. Understand that the Trax 2 is far superior to the older Trax (silver) wheels. We have had ZERO claims on the newer Trax 2 wheels. They are tough and can carry a load.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Matt,
Do you know if there have been successful attempts to add the HD wheels to the Trax 2 cart? That would seem to be the best solution to my dilemma. Even if I have to do some modifying, that makes the most sense!

troutbum wrote:
Don't waste your time with the Trax, it is a piece of junk

Troutbum,
Do you mean the original Trax cart with the original Wheel-eez wheels or are you referring to the Trax 2 cart with the upgraded Wheel-eez wheels?

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GR8 Laker wrote:
Thanks, Matt,
Do you know if there have been successful attempts to add the HD wheels to the Trax 2 cart? That would seem to be the best solution to my dilemma. Even if I have to do some modifying, that makes the most sense!
GR8 Laker

IMO the Trax1 and Trax2 frames are the strongest. They have a solid axle as opposed to a lighter tube axle on the new HD cart. It's the balloon wheels that aren't as strong. The original Trax1 were terrible. The newer Trax2 are much better.
If the cart is properly inserted, goes all the way through the scuppers and the scuppers are properly supported with balls so they are evenly loaded then there should be no problems. I have wheeled my Hobie's hundreds of kilometres in the last 3+ years with zero scupper problems. :)
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=21856

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Stringy,
I may be mistaken but the HD cart shown in the image from your link shows the cart with the hollow axle. The Trax 2 cart that I have, although it looks identical, has a solid axle and the quick connect Wheels. I was asking Matt if anyone has found a good way to modify the solid axle to fit the HD wheels. There must be a way! This would save a few $$ over having to purchase the hollow axle cart. I may just purchase a set of HD wheels and figure out how to make it work or take it to someone who can!

Cheers,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GR8 Laker,
That is the solid axle.
The link details how to do it. If you get the Hobie HD upgrade kit it's just a matter of cutting the aluminium bush to wheel hub width and getting the spacers and R clip.
I have modified both Trax1 and Trax2 carts so they take the pneumatic wheels. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the clarification Stringy,
I'll follow through with the upgrade. This will definitely give me peace of mind when I'm out in the middle of nowhere!

Be well,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's the link to my cart upgrade. Cost me $10.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=7674

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The HD cart has a solid axle.

CBull

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The HD cart my dealer stocked had a tube axle -not solid bar like the Trax 1+2. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stringy,

One thing I noticed with the HD cart; it does appear to have a hollow axle at first glance, but the hollow aspect is actually the axle adapter sleeve or bushing that the pin must run through.

CBull