Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How do Adventures with Mirage drives do on rivers where there are snags, fallen trees, trot lines often running all the way across and underneath the surface? I wondered how much tangling and or damage is experienced, and does the kayak travel well in these conditions, or is it more an ocean boat.

Thanks,

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ray,
Back atcha again! Actually I tried to answer this question earlier over on KFS, but it got deleted before I could send it. But you have sort of answered your own question. Anything, such as heavy California kelp, heavy Florida spring-fed stream vegetation, trot lines, boulders, etc. can and will foul the Mirage drive. That is one reason why Hobie, in its wisdom, provided a bungee and a hook for hooking one pedal back. This folds both flippers or sails up against the hull. Thus you have only about 3 inches of the Mirage drive exending down beneath the keel. Then when you get into such conditions, or expect to, just hook the bungee on to the pedal shaft and this flattens the flippers up against the hull. Or, even better some times, just pull the whole drive and lay the flippers up on the bow. Takes no more than 10 seconds to do. Of course, you should always use a leash/lanyard/line to secure the drive to a cleat or eyestrap in the cockpit, whether the drive is in place in the well or free on deck.

So to finally answer your question, the Hobies are both ocean and freshwater boats. You would not knowingly steer a paddle-only yak over a shallow boulder in a stream any more than you would a pedal boat. Hobie also supplies a plastic plug that fits the Mirage drive well when the drive is out, in case someone does not like being that close to the environment. :mrgreen: But I have rarely used mine since it is just one more thing to remember to take, and find space for.

Here is a pic of the cockpit of my (wife's) Sport showing how I rigged the leash. Note the large bungee hook on the port side of the Sport, and the leash attached to a SS shackle right on the Mirage drive. This pic also shows my home-made tackle box bungee that used to come as standard equipment on the earlier Outbacks before the 8 inch hatch came as standard equipment in front of the seating area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach, your use of the word (wife) was noted and appreciated. And I agree with you. I plan on using my Quest on our Texas rivers, shallow and rocky,and my soon to arrive Adventure on the area lakes and at the coast, shallow flats but with lots of open deeper areas in transit. llt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey kyt,
Yep--I added my "(wife's)" Sport, to keep the record straight--didn't want you reminding me again! :mrgreen:

So you plan to keep both your Quest and the Adventure? Sounds like a plan. I will be very interested to hear your comparisons of how they both paddle, especially with regard to speed. You may be the only guy in the country (at least for a while) with both in his fleet! Get that GPS warmed up and ready for action!

Also, note a new poster above, Harold Ray, who is also from Texas. He is not too far from you (as Texas distances go!), so you guys might have a chance to hook up some time.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach, yeah, Waco is fairly close but is still a hundred miles from here. I can hardly wait for my Adventure to get here. My dealer told me last Thursday that it may be in this week. You can bet I plan on making some , so to speak, side by side comparisions. I have a brand new battery for the GPS just waiting to be used in said trials. I'm also looking forwqrd to the rigging and outfitting.

Harold, I forgot to welcome you to the site so, Welcome! Maybe we can get together for fishing some time. Maybe down at Port A. We have quite a few rivers down here around SA also, but those will see my Quest most often I think. I am sure the Adventure would paddle fine on our rivers but it's 16 foot length may leave something in the manuevering ability to be desired. But again, once I get it and get to spend more time in it, maybe not!! One thing though, the Mirage drive will stay in the vehicle while I am on a river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As Apalach has outlined, they can, and do get caught up.

The one thing you must do, when plying very shallow waters, is go easy on the pedalling motion. Use less power when you think you may hit bottom, and STOP pedalling immediately, otherwise you'll bend a mast.

In very shallow waters, I'd advise to fully remove the drive (tethered), and use your paddle. Oh, nearly forgot... if you are in REALLY shallow water, and you want to remove the drive, too bad, 'cause you can't. The drive fins must be vertical for installation & removal.

Cheers

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, right on Wolfie--I always forget to mention that little point--you need to remove the drive BEFORE getting into really skinny water, heavy vegetation and the like.

So, it does take some observational skills (polarized sunglasses can help sometimes) on where you are at any particular time in the really shallow stuff, plus you need to have your paddle out and ready to apply some quick reverse speed, sometimes on only a moment's notice!

Also, giving the pedals only about half pumps will still allow you to use the Mirage drive in shallow water sometimes without hitting bottom. But, as Wolfie sez, take it EASY with the pedaling under such circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harold ray wrote:
How do Adventures with Mirage drives do on rivers where there are snags, fallen trees, trot lines often running all the way across and underneath the surface
If the water is clear, just extend the pedals and you'll be able to glide over the shallow obstacles, lines, and snags as the Drive unit only extends below the hull a few inches when the fins are hugging the bottom of the kayak. If the water is not clear, proceed at your own risk. Carry spare parts and tools. When I first started using the Outback, I bent a few rods. You'll quickly learn to take the pedal kayaks in deeper water or use a different kayak. If exploring new waters, I can't emphasize enough to carry some spare parts unless you like paddling the rest of the way home.