Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When assembling my new PA (bought online at a very reputable and recommended online yak store) using the provided hex key wrench and my own not overly strong, ungloved human hand power, I inadvertantly somehow "spun" one midship handrail threaded brass hull insert and now I cannot back the hex bolt out nor can I get the last two threads or so to tighten up on the handrail. Nothing but brass hull insert spinning in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a decent and doable fix?

Apparently this particular threaded brass insert was the only one with which I didn't first completely thread a bolt into prior to installing both midship handrails. I probably cross threaded this last bolt from the start, but didn't feel any excessive resistance as the bolt threaded deeper into the brass insert.

I made contact with my online dealer and their suggestion was to pull or somehow remove the troublesome factory installed brass threaded hull insert and either plastic weld or epoxy the brass insert back into the hull and carefully reinstall the handrail and bolt. I've pulled while turning the troublesome bolt many times and am getting no where fast. The brass insert remains flush with the hull surface.

help...

CBull

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

I sent an email to our factory manager for some input.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

Thank you much!

CBull

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 am 
Site Admin

From the factory:

Quote:
The front inserts may be reachable with Vice Grips through the center hatch. If he can’t reach the insert with Vice Grips one option would be to cut away the plastic end of the handle and remove the bolt and insert, then weld up the hole, and try to thru bolt a new bolt. If you can get a bit more info we should be able to talk him through a solution.

Quote:
I forgot to mention, he may need to remove the ethafoam to reach the insert. It is held in place with the screws in the map pocket. The insert is a double insert, about 1 inch long, so it is fairly easy to locate when trying to grab it with Vice Grips.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again Matt for the fast response.

Me thinks I'll wait for now and see if the current setup becomes problematic.

Concerning the gunwale Ethafoam; the Port side ethafoam likes to slide completely out of place and is usually found lying in the bottom center of the hull after transport and after usage, there doesn't appear to be anything but a slight amount of friction trying to hold this side in place. The starboard side doesn't have this issue and seems to be quite firmly established via the afore mentioned map pocket screws, I assume.

CBull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The screws are not hitting the foam

Last edited by sandydiego on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CBull wrote:
Thanks again Matt for the fast response.

Me thinks I'll wait for now and see if the current setup becomes problematic.

Concerning the gunwale Ethafoam; the Port side ethafoam likes to slide completely out of place and is usually found lying in the bottom center of the hull after transport and after usage, there doesn't appear to be anything but a slight amount of friction trying to hold this side in place. The starboard side doesn't have this issue and seems to be quite firmly established via the afore mentioned map pocket screws, I assume.

The screws are not in the foam. Pull the map pocket off and twist the foam so the srew hits a fresh section of foam.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Sandy, I'll give that a shot!

CBull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Obviously you know this, but to others who haven't tried installing the rails, you have to be super careful installing them as they are easy to cross thread.

I found installing the rails tricky as getting one bolt started was easy, but getting the second started without cross threading took some patience and multiple tries. The hand rails holes don't line up perfectly with the holes due to the curve of the boat. This causes the second bolt to be slightly crooked going into the insert if you are not careful. I had to back the first bolt out most of the way and get both bolts threading properly before alternating tightening them down. When tight, the bolts torque the grab bar slightly due to the curvature of the side of the boat. My brother cross threaded his slightly when we were installing his bars, but we caught it soon enough and were able to back the bolt out and get it to re-thread properly.

This seems like something Hobie should cover for you.

TDK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TDK,

EXACTLY!

CBull