Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a nice piece of custom work. Alas I'm no welder. I'm stuck with off-the-shelf.

So, anybody out there who's bought a Cheata in the last year or so... does it really and truly fit the Getaway's rear crossbar? No hacking/filing/improvising? And once on, it doesn't interfere with other stuff? etc.

Also opinions on install-it-yourself, vs have my local dealer do it?

thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mark, I sent you a reply to your email, did you get it ok? if not it may be in your junk box, regards 'the ferret'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got a Hobie Getaway with the Cheata mount and Torqeedo 1003. I sail it on Lake Michigan, and I find I have to turn the motor sideways to clear the tiller bar when the mount is in the UP position.
But the motor doesn’t sit very high; so when the lake is even a little rough, the skeg and prop keep hitting the water and the motor is lifted up, and dropped back down. I’m afraid this is going to damage something from the constant pounding.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you find a solution?
Thanks!
Bob Peterson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a followup-the owner of Cheeta mounts emailed me and invited me to phone him, so we chatted. Talk about great customer service! He had some very good advice for me.
I replaced the aluminum pin (which bent because of some heavy pounding) with a stainless bolt. I bungee the arm of the Cheeta down flat, and I use the Torqeedo's mount to hold the motor raised. I bungee the tiller of the motor to hold the motor horizontal. This gives enough clearance to prevent having the skeg hit waves and kick up. Only takes a few seconds for me to remove the tiller bungee and swivel the motor into the water.
I really like the Torqeedo motor-it's pricy, but not having to worry about gasoline and having it instantly turn on is worth it to me.