Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:?: Just got the new square top sail as a father's day present for use on my oasis (!!). Went to rig it (in the pool !) and I don't quite understand the directions supplied. I am using a small Harkin block (purchased separately) at the rear but I don't see any reference to the small snatch cleat the is just in front of the mesh bag on the right side. The block seems to catch the sheet from moving forward as you pull in toward you (aft). Where is the turn made in the main sheet ahead of the factory snatch block. Am I missing some hardware that should have come with the sail kit?? Anyone have a photo?
Appreciate your responses
many thanks to this list - great group of people
Picah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Picah,
The small sail kit is a simple kit that contains the sail, mast and mainsheet. This is all that is included unless Hobie have recently added some extra hardware I am unaware of.
The mainsheet is run back through the rear padeye and then back up on the s/b side. You can use the seat straps to add friction.
Adding a small block on the rear padeye is a simple improvement. Many members have posted other improvements in rigging such as:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15360
viewtopic.php?t=7065&highlight=improved+rigging
A search back through this forum will yield other great ideas! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

picah wrote:
... but I don't see any reference to the small snatch cleat the is just in front of the mesh bag on the right side. The block seems to catch the sheet from moving forward as you pull in toward you (aft).
I think the cleat your are questioning, is to lock the rudder 'Down' line with and has nothing to do with the sail.

Keep searching here on line, and I think it will all make sense.

Good sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I rig the Oasis as follows:

1. The mainsheet runs from the clew of the sail to the microclock that you attach at the aft padeye/handle (not shown here).

2. The sheet then runs forward to another microblock and thru-bolted padeye that you install (see below)

3. Finally the sheet runs aft where you can easily manipulate it and cleat it off (the cleat you install just for this purpose, not related to the rudder cleat; shown above).

Or, to keep it simple, you can just install the microblock at the aft padeye and handle the sheet form there. There are many approaches. The only big "don't" is don't use a swivel microblock at the rear padeye. This will allow your mainsheet to twist and lock, effectively seizing the sail -- not a desirable result. A simple block is all you want or need.

This may require more line than Hobie provides. I use my own longer mainsheet and a snap hook for quick attachment/ disconnect at the clew. This allows easier sail handling IMO. More stuff on the sailing forum as stringy and reconlon suggest -- tails, boom-bats, mast stiffeners, etc. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, guys.

Yes - I am a dummy sometimes - I have used the rudder down block 100's of times but was so focused on the sail rigging that I was not connecting the dots

BIG thanks for the warning NOT to use a swivel block, just a regular simple block - would have gone wrong here

Just bought a 5' long 1/4 diameter fiberglass rod (bike flag at Wally World for $7 !) for the batten and it slides in without having to burn a hole in the sail

Also working on a furling rig as developed by some of you and others on this forum

I do know that the batten and furling capability do not co-exist, at least not simultaneously ( :roll: )

This forum is the best !!

Very happy oasis owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
The only big "don't" is don't use a swivel microblock at the rear padeye. This will allow your mainsheet to twist and lock, effectively seizing the sail -- not a desirable result. A simple block is all you want or need.

i just bought an used sail kit and haven't tried it yet. i bought a harken micro block single / shackle (har234) for the rear padeye, it doesn't swivel but it is shackled. is that ok? or am i asking for trouble?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

No problem. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks roadrunner for your prompt response and informative posts!