Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA getting lots of use
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

TAK and I had our PAs out for an evening trip on the Occoquan/Potomac River on Friday. We didn't hit the water until 7:30, but the huge full moon provided good visibility until we called it quits after 10:00. I caught a couple of nice bass on a plastic frog, the last coming after 9:30 pm. Our safety lights were essential as there is quite a bit of boat traffic in the area at night, especially on weekends. The suction cup for the light won't stick anywhere on the coarse PA surface, so I cut circles out of the smooth clear plastic packaging the lights came in and then we used silicone to attach the circles to the front hatch of the PA. This provided a nice smooth surface to attach the suction cup for the safety light. Worked great! You can see the plastic circle on the front hatch on the first picture below.

I went for an evening cruise last night and found the bass liking my spinnerbait! I boated four good bass. At the end of the evening I was slow rolling my spinner through a hole in the grass and hooked a good fish. I was surprised to pull in a 3 pound catfish! I cast again into the same spot and hooked into something substantial. I was only using 10 pound line, so I had to bring the fish to the boat carefully. To my surprise, it was another catfish, but this one was easily 7 or 8 pounds. I've never caught a catfish that big and definitely not on a spinnerbait! Unfortunately, the big cat spun at the boat and broke off my prized spinnerbait. I'll have to try to find another like it -- chartreuse with some black fleck and green foil mixed in the skirt. They were smashing it.

The Quantico Creek off the Potomac river has really filled in with grass. I was the only boat venturing into the creek as far as I could see. No bass boats were going to reach the spots I was fishing with my PA.

I'm just loving this craft. I've fished more this spring/early summer than I have in years. It's just so easy to get the PA on the water, there's no excuse for not getting out often. Easy loading on my Toyota Highlander with the Yakima system makes it easy to load up and get to the put in spot. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283 Investing in an easy to use and convenient transport system is completely worth it.

Looking up Quantico Creek

Biggest bass of the night.

A good way to start the trip.

It's a keeper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like a nice place to fish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's a great spot, although it can be tough slogging through all of the grass when it gets thick. Luckily, I don't have to venture far from the ramp to reach some good spots. I'll be heading out again in a few hours and I hope they hammer my spinnerbait as hard as the other evening. We are finally cooling off a bit today and the humidity has dropped substantially, so it should be a lot more comfortable fishing. I was sweating buckets in these pics!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was stoked after finding another spinnerbait in my tackle box like the one the catfish stole. It's a Strike King Premier Pro-Model, 3/16 oz -- I'm not sure what the color is called, but the fish love it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they still make the skirt I like that has the dark green foil strands. So, I'm out in Quantico Creek again on Wednesday night. A cool air mass has moved into the area, so it's really nice fishing weather. On my second cast with this spinnerbait I hook into something serious. It's another big cat!! What in the world are cats doing hitting my spinnerbait when I'm burning it over the top of the grass, maybe a foot or two under water?! I get the fish to the side of the boat and as I'm trying to gill him, he flops and breaks off my lure. Distraught. :evil:

I've now invested in a fish grabber and will have my net with me on all trips.

All that aside, I love my PA!

TDK