Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo or Laser?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was pretty much set to buy a Bravo (over a Laser) and called my local dealer. The dealer discouraged me from buying a Bravo -- said it was too small for me (5'9" 200 lbs). Said he doesn't carry any Bravos in stock any more and said other dealers don't either. Urged me to buy a Wave. Insinuated that Bravos aren't any good. I've sailed the Wave; but I think I'd like the smaller -- more monohull-like feel of the Bravo.

Wow! Not what I expected from a dealer. Was I about to buy an Edsel or a Pinto? I've read all the posts on this site and have found very positive opinions about the Bravo. On the other hand, should I stick with a tried and true Laser, despite the fact that I can't drag it up on the beach? I'm really confused now. Is the Laser performance that much better?

Your help would be appreciated, especially from those who may have owned Lasers and Bravos.

Post subject: Re: Bravo or Laser?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Laser is def better performance wise, but ease of set up and go the Bravo wins. the Bravo has less strings to set up and if you can leave it somewhere, all you have to do when finished is roll up the sail and tie it off. At my club (1/2 mile by 3/4 mile lake in NJ) my family has a sunfish, bravo and laser. Laser has not seen the water in years, sunfish gets out about 10-15 times a year and I have been sailing my bravo since March. I leave everything set and it is literally 2 minutes and I am sailing. The laser would take about 15 minutes to set up....

Downside, there is no Bravo racing by me....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Performance, ease of setup, how about durability. I sail in a lake a little bigger than yours. A few years back when the lake was low during dry season, the wind was blowing and I was driving the Bravo, lee bow was down. Then wham, I hit an underwater bolder the boat lurched up and the rudder kicked up.

I went to the nearest shore to inspect the boat, had a scrape on the bottom but not that bad. Try that in a fiberglass boat with a dagger board. You'll be out of the water for some time doing repairs.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a Laser and sold it for a Bravo. The Laser is more of pain to set up single handed. It sounds trivial but, in my case, turned out to be an important difference. The thing that clinched it for me was the furling main sail on the Bravo. On a windy day, the laser has mast up, the sail is flapping its brains out and you're trying to get the boom into the gooseneck joint on the mast while clipping the outhaul to sail. Boom falls out of gooseneck, etc. Possibly if my laser were rigged differently it would have been simpler.

The Laser is a bit of a better performer. Adding the optional boom to the Bravo helps. 200lbs might be a lot for a bravo but it will still float and you'll have a good time relatively free of hassles.

If you want a really high performance boat, get a Hobie 16, 17, 18, etc; but then you've got another level of complexity.

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would say both are good boats if you are just looking for sailing for fun and easy to sail with 1 person. But another boat that is just like that and has some more speed and great performance is a Hobie 14 or Hobie 14 turbo the difference between the 2 is that the turbo means the boat has a jib. It is fast it has a decent sized trampoline and if it is not a turbo or even if it is it is easy to single. But overall it's all up to you, whatever floats your boat (pun intended)

Captain Hook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just traded a Holder 12 in on a Bravo - the Holder is similar to a Laser.....and although speedy and light and crazy-fun to sail - is a real pain to rig. I'm stronger than your average "old lady" - but holding a mast by the bottom with a sail flying in the wind is NOT that much fun; and quite frankly, scampering around on the boat trying to balance it and duck the boom is just getting too hard on my poor old knees....LOL!!

OK - and DEEP down in my heart - I'm a catamaran lover anyway...... but when the Holder rolled on me while I tried to secure it to the boat lift and I got dumped most unceremoniously into the lift frame - well, let's just say I'll be sailing in shorts for a while lest anyone see the bruises on my hip......

Deb