Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Second newbie post.

I just ordered an Adventure for use in Hawaii.

Jim Wolfe gives an excellent description of launching a Hobie drive yak from a pier at:

http://www.plasticnavy.com/hobietips.htm

But what about beaches?

I'm guessing the following.

The drive is not installed at launch but secured with some sort of clip device others have described.

Launch and use paddle to drive out to calmer deeper water.

Insert drive. How difficult is this bobbing around? And adjustments?

Returning. Reverse above, possibly outside of break line. This is some what of a concern as for some places you want to come in full bore between sets , as waves are too big to surf in. So I really want the drive at that time.

Any experiences to share?

Aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Aloha Dan,

When launching from the shore, I wade out to almost knee height with the boat where there is sufficient depth to drop the drive in. Once installed, you can put one pedal forward and the fins tuck up next to the hull. There is a bungee to keep the pedals on this position till you're ready to use them.

Some people (like Hobie dealers) put the drives in before they launch, keeping them tucked up next to the hull. That seems a little harder on the equipment to me, but launching through surf, you might want to install and secure everything before you hit the water.

The drive might be a nice asset going out through surf because you can apply more power and you'd have better rudder control. Coming in though might be a little trickier; haven't tried it, but think I'd secure the fins until I got a good feel for the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Insert drive. How difficult is this bobbing around? And adjustments?

Hey Dan,
Back atcha again--forgot to welcome you to the Hobie Site, so welcome! Mirage drive a snap to install and remove. May take about 15 seconds to install and 10 seconds to remove. It can be tricky trying to do this in heavy swash or backwash, but as Roadrunner says, get into about 2 feet of water to install the drive, hook up your leash to the drive, unclip the seat support strap on the side you enter on (to make it easier to slide into the seat side saddle), point the bow into the break and off you go.

Some folks find it works better to just use the paddle to get past the break, then they install the drive. By pulling back on one pedal, you can hook up the Hobie-installed bungee and this folds the flippers up against the hull so that only about 3 inches of the drive extends beneath the hull. BUT, the flippers have to be oriented vertically to get them into and out of the well in the hull, so you have to do some pre- and post-launch planning in this regard. No big ting, though.

I would not like to land thru the surf with the drive installed because, as you know, the swash can carry you a fair way up on the beach and I try to avoid getting sand in the gearing and chain if at all possible. Once in a while probably won't cause any problem, but over time the less junk I have to wash or shake out of the flipper mechanism and gearing, the better I like it. But the Mirage drive is an extremely well made and sturdy piece of equipment, so it can take a fair amount of abuse. Just for refereence purposes here is a pic of my (wife's) Sport showing the Mirage drive installed and the leash at left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This information comes directly from the Hobie site:
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html

"The blades can be 'tucked' up against the hull for beach landings"

Image[/img]
(imaging courtesy of ImageShack) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:42 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for all the discussion.

I also found an article on KFS:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=20

Surf Launching
Jim Sammons Owner La Jolla Kayak Fishing

My yak is to be delivered the end of December. When I have some experience I'll post it.

Aloha

Dan