Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm interested in the 21 SC but wanted some feed back on how easy it is to singlehand.
Often I would be sailing by my self or with my 7yr old daughter only.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I almost always am sailing my 21SC by myself and have found it very easy. The boat is heavier than most beach cats, so it feels more stable, slower to accelerate, and generally easy to stay in control. I LOVE the wings for their comfort and extra leverage for my limited weight. IF YOU SINGLE-HAND ANY CATAMARAN, IF YOU FALL OFF, THE BOAT WILL SAIL AWAY FROM YOU... A SCARY SITUATION IF YOU'RE IN THE OCEAN, SO BE CAREFUL!

The roller-reefing mainsail is GREAT if the wind comes up or to quickly lower the sail for tricky docking situations.

When I do have my kids or friends onboard, there is plenty of room for everyone, whether its on the wings (500# max each), main tramp, front tramp, even the storage pod makes a great bench!

Spring-loaded centerboards are nice because they take care of themselves.

Even rigging by myself is a breeze! Most of the boat stays rigged during transport (rudders, shrouds, lines) and thanks to the gin pole, I can step mast myself, sails up, and I'm off sailing. Note, i've been sailing since age 3, and am still pretty nimble for 43... other's have complained that stepping mast is difficult. I follow Matt Miller's rigging video on YouTube and found it easy (just search: Hobie21sc rigging). I'll have the video running on my iPhone while I'm rigging to be sure I don't screw it up...

The only bummer is the gennaker furling can be inconsistent (see other comments on this board).

You'll also want a righting bag on board (see comments on righting the 21sc)

Good luck!
-Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I solo my 21 SE in light winds 10-15 mph as often as I can.I do need help raising my mast( someone to turn my winch) but I just ask anyone I see at the lake for 5 minutes of their time and that has always worked for me.People visiting the lake are so friendly and helpful too. :D It is nice to enjoy the peace of just being out on the water with the sun and wind as your companion.Using my spinnaker is a bit much while solo sailing but I have done it.
Bill 404 21 SE