Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having been thinking a lot about the BigA lately. I was wondering if Hobie has considered the possibilities that the Adventure opens up. For example, when the new larger sail and ama kits, are available in about a year or so, how about some sailing regattas for the BigA? Now, I'm not thinking about some piddly races around the buoys in Newport Harbor or Mission Bay. I'm talking about some open ocean racing. Newport to Catalina, for example, a distance pf about 26 miles is certainly doable. But how about a San Francisco to LA race? You wouldn't want to go north along the CA coast, because then you would be fighting the North Pacific Gyre and the California Current that moves from north to south. But wouldn't that be a blast--open ocean BigA racing? Would be certain to get lots of press along the way, and would no doubt sell a bunch of BigAs when the public finds out that the racing models can be purchased right off the dealer's floor (presumably). Would probably take 2-3 days for that race. Would also need a chase boat or two, as with any race of this type.

But how about a Newport or Long Beach to San Diego BigA sailing race? That would be doable in a single day. Of course, one would need to have some good weather with reasonable swell heights, etc., but it is something to consider down the road. Ditto for the East Coast. How about a Miami to Jacksonville race? Gotta race from south to north on the East Coast to go with the flow of the Gulf Stream and the North Atlantic Gyre. Lots of interesting possibilities out there for the BigA in a year or two. Just my $.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:46 am 
Hobie Team Member

Well living in Kona let me add a few suggestions, if I can brrow from the Ironman. Think in 3's.

You have three ways of propelling hobie yaks. Paddle, peddle, sail. What if a race was three legged where on leg favored one mode of propulsion? Layout a race up wind, cross, down for example.

Second on the long distance stuff sign me up (10 Queen Liliuokalani's, a couple of Molokai Hoe's and a Catalina under my belt.) Always looking for a new challenge.

Two ways of doing the long distance stuff.

1. Non stop

2. Tahitian way. With stops for overnight. You could do cumulative time like Tour de France/car rallies.

One way Hobie could get things started might be to include a kayak division along with their sponsored cat races.

A kayak club that jumps here could do quite well IMHO monetary wise.

I think Kai Opua gross on Queen Lilioukalani is $75K plus. The two day event draws OC paddlers from all over the globe. Gives the local economy a shot in the arm.

In three's again how about a YAK weekend festival, racing, fishing, spear fishing .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

... and.... and.... if they need like, WORLD media attention, they can fly this little Aussie up there, to participate. Hell, I've earned the right, got 2 Hobies, and gonna get my third (ANOTHER Quest!!!!)

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,
Now there is a heck of an idea! An Ironman Challenge on the water using Hobie Adventures!! Three stages: paddle, pedal, and sail. Three divisions also: men's, womens, and mixed. Also could have a tandem or double division using the Outrigger/Tandem over the same course, but in a separate set of races. Could have a men's double, a women's double, and a mixed double.

Talk about promotional possibilities--have the Hobie Challenge events following or just before the Ironman events. I'm sure there are a fair number of sponsors who might be up for something like this, not to mention some Ironman competitors who would want to do both. Fairly boggles the mind. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

... and ... and a Grey Beards for us older folk!!!

Wolfie

Post subject: Challenge Events
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apalach wrote:
Talk about promotional possibilities--have the Hobie Challenge events following or just before the Ironman events.
While Ironman events do draw alot of top competitors, not many people, including me, will ever sign up for one, especially if it is in a kayak.

I've found out that if you want to guage your fitness, see how fast you can pedal your kayak 1, 2, or 3 miles. Races don't have to be long to be challenging. Racing a mirage can max out your heart rate in no time. If you don't believe me, try pedaling your kayak fast, then pick up your paddle and bump up your speed another mile per hour by paddling and pedaling at the same time.

From the first day that I owned the Outback, I said this kayak could start something big. Trouble is, no one is organizing Mirage events. Far as I'm concerned, whenever a dealership hosts a Demo day, there should be a scheduled race or combination of races, be it paddle, pedal, or sail. I'd organize a race here in Mobile if I knew there was any interest.

There has to be a lot of little races organized in order to get rules established. After all, we are talking about an Outback racing an Outback, and Adventure racing an Adventure, just like Hobie has sailboat divisions competing against like sailboats. (Does Hobiecat know the they have KAYAK sailboats with no division?) When there are enough sections of the country getting participation in little races, then Hobie will have justification in sponsoring the Mirage Olympics, or the Outback Adventure Nationals, etc. :lol:

So, on the subject of Challenge Events, I challenge you mirage owners interested in racing events to start organizing by establishing a monthly race in your area and posting your event on here.