Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder cord problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have pulled my rudder cord out further than usual. Have I broken something? The rudder will still come up but I need to assist it back down. Have I pulled the pulley off its anchor? Please help it doesn't keep me from fishing but it is inconvienent.

Post subject: Re: rudder cord problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:06 am 
Site Admin

You may have pulled the line turning block (forward) off the hull. Forward of the line exit point.

This can be reinstalled using two truss head screws and possibly added washers if you cracked it at the original screw location.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just did a stainless washer fix with two stainless nuts/bolts on mine like Matt spoke of. I wish I had known the original set up I would have done this to begin with. One screw is a weak attachment point for something that tends to get pulled on hard. Matt told me the newer PA's have two screws already. I used it today and no problems, a solid fix.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

do I go thru the opening of the cutting board hatch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes. I had to rethread the chord on my pulley block as it was mounted with the rounded side facing the inside of the PA thus creating even more torque on the plastic hull (the flat side of the pulley block should be bolted against the hull). Yours may be properly oriented but mine wasn't. If so you may not need to undo the up/down rope as I am describing. I undid the pull chord via the removing the t-handle (remove the red sticker and there is a knot holding the chord in the handle), drilled a second hole for my pulley block, removed the bolt and nut from the pulley wheel portion of the block and threaded two longer bolts through the SS washers which I put on the inside and outside (for added strength) of the hull's interior wall where the original single bolt was located. The pulley block's two holes matched up to the original hole and a small dimple a little over an inch from it in teh inside of the hull (I always wondered why it was there), that's where I drilled the second hole after measuring the pulley and the hole/dimple spacing. After doing the washer placement I threaded the bolts through the pulley and put a nut on each. (This is a lot of fun going through the hatch feeling your way around) It got real fun when it was time to rethread the pulley chord through the pulley and then up through the small straw like apparatus that leads your chord throught the hull to the outside. The chord is of course under tension from the rudder and the appartus that controls it's up down feature in the rear so you are trying too pull it one way while it pulls against you. All this while you are trying to run it back through the pulley and out the little hole. Solution: tie off the up down chord with another rope to give yourself slack to rethread the other end through the pulley and out the hull. A little hint, run a piece of mono or fluoro through the straw hole from the top down into your hull and to the very end of your chord and tie the leader material to it and thread it through the pulley. This will make it easier to pull the up down chord through the small hole. Once you have it threaded out the top of the hull secure the up down chord in the cleat block and reattach your t-handle. Don't forget to untie your up down chord from where you tie it off to gain slack for rethreading. You should be good to go! It's good to have the "Big Gun" back operating. With this exception this boat has been perfect and I have been very happy with my purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After rereading your post I believe I had a different problem than you. My rudder couldn't be retracted. I picked up the rear of my boat and with the up/down lever locked in the up position my rudder dropped down. I had lost the necessary tension frothe front pulley and had too much slack in my up down chord.