Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new aka lock collars that I received were about 1/16th of an inch too thick. When properly mounted on the aka with the flat face against the hinge casting as described, the screw holes are offset too far for the screws to be properly inserted. I know it's hard to see from the photo below, but the screw holes are obscured by about a third of their width.

However, all is not lost. Just use some 60 grit sandpaper to chew down the flat side of the aka lock collar about 1/16th of an inch and everything mounts perfectly. The aka slides back into place without issue and locks firmly into position. All in all, it took me about 30 minutes per collar to install them.

Here's a shot of the old collar on the right and the new collar on the left. The old one is shiny and the ramps for the lock are pretty shallow. The new collar is more of a matte finish, feels a little heavier and beefier in the hand, and the ramps for the lock are twice the thickness of the old design.

While looking carefully at the old aka lock collars, I noticed daylight where I wasn't expecting to see any. Surprise, surprise - the old collars appear to have holes created by the installation of the screw heads. I don't know if that's a problem or not, so I thought I'd report it, as the unexpected holes were evident on all the old lock collars I removed from my TI.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems multiple people are having this problem with their new aka lock collars. After spending a lot of time with a power sander on one collar, luckily I had a bench grinder that worked great. This was much faster given the amount of sanding necessary. The offset on mine were similar to what your photos show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mitch;

Thanks for the info, I received mine today and you were right on the money ( 1/16 th) and fit like a glove. They make a more solid sound when latching than the old ones did.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad it helped you guys!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mitch-
Your pictures of the new and old aka collar pieces seem to have disappeared. Could you check and see if they need to be reloaded. It could be something with my computer, because I did see them before. I am interested as we just picked up our new TI and one of the collars had no screws in it, the holes didn't appear to line up, and we could see a slight hole where the piece had been drilled for the screw head to fit into. Wondering if these were the old or new collars.

Thanks,
Beth, Mark & Noah
2010 Tandem Island
Durham, NC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thats kind of funny because my aka lock collars fit perfectly :lol:

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whosyerbob wrote:
...the screw holes are offset too far for the screws to be properly inserted. I know it's hard to see from the photo below, but the screw holes are obscured by about a third of their width

Same with mine.