Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone devised a good way to insert the wheels into the PA when you come off the water, other than tipping the beast on its side? When my brother, TAK, and I go out together one of us can lift the back while the other places the wheels. Obviously, I can't do that when I'm out solo. I was thinking about fabricating some kind of a "kick-stand" type of apparatus to be placed under the rear handle to prop the back up just long enough to place the wheels. But before I put in much time or effort, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has come up with a solution already. Has anyone come up with anything?

Thanks!

TDK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When someone figures this one out I'd really like to know!

CBull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the adventure Island I Put the Cart frame under the boat and then through the scuppers and then click the balloon wheels on the axle on one side at a time and the pull the boat out of the water. this is much easier than trying to put the whole cart under the water and line up with the scuppers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I roll it on it's side and plug em in. Of course this means you have to pretty much empty it of crap you've collected. I've taken this as my que to run stuff to the truck and get a cold drink and get the truck cranked up to cool off. It works for me. I might throw a towel down on the ground if it's the type that will scar up the sides of the yak. It's a beast. Almost makes you think a different cart would make more sense. One that would just cradle the hull and secure with straps. Maybe a 4 wheeler..... motorized.... drivable. Sheeeesh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ElementAI wrote:
With the adventure Island I Put the Cart frame under the boat and then through the scuppers and then click the balloon wheels on the axle on one side at a time and the pull the boat out of the water. this is much easier than trying to put the whole cart under the water and line up with the scuppers.

I tried this process with my PA and it worked reasonably well. You have to float the boat a little deeper, so you end up a little more wet than other options, but that doesn't feel too bad in 100 degree heat and 80+ degree water. Clearly this is not a cold water option. Pushing the Trax II tires under the water is tricky -- be careful not to lose your grip and end up with a face full of kart wheel/tire when it jumps out of the water. Also, make sure the wheels fully click onto the kart axle. All in all, this is a workable solo option and I only had to unload my enourmous tackle box from the back deck until I rolled the PA out of water. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

yakkingaway wrote:
I roll it on it's side and plug em in. Of course this means you have to pretty much empty it of crap you've collected. I've taken this as my que to run stuff to the truck and get a cold drink and get the truck cranked up to cool off. It works for me. I might throw a towel down on the ground if it's the type that will scar up the sides of the yak. It's a beast. Almost makes you think a different cart would make more sense. One that would just cradle the hull and secure with straps. Maybe a 4 wheeler..... motorized.... drivable. Sheeeesh.

That's usually the approach I use, too. I strap most everything down and then I can just set my tackle box, Mirage drive and a few other loose items to the side of the take out area while I tip the PA on its side to place the wheels. It's just a hassle on a busy boat ramp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all
i have been having the same problem lifting the pa and getting the cart under into the holes, or rolling on its side which i dont like as i launch on gravel.
i have now purchased a c-tug and this has made moving the pa much easier,i lift the front of the pa up and place on to the c-tub then pass the straps over and fix them
push or pull the pa to my jeep,much easier
have a look
www.c-tug.com/

thoray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thoray wrote:
hi all
i have been having the same problem lifting the pa and getting the cart under into the holes, or rolling on its side which i dont like as i launch on gravel.
i have now purchased a c-tug and this has made moving the pa much easier,i lift the front of the pa up and place on to the c-tub then pass the straps over and fix them
have a look
http://www.c-tug.com/

thoray

That may just be what the doctor ordered. I love that it has a kickstand to hold the unit upright while you place the boat. Really smart! The specifications say it can handle 300 lbs., which I think is more than sufficient for my PA, even when it is loaded. It looks like it would conform easily to the PA hull -- any issues there? The breakdown and assemble looks simple, too, but does if fit in the PA front hatch without disassembly? It looks to be $150 online -- I can't imagine it's less through a local dealer. Any info? Where did you get yours?

Thanks for posting this. Yakkingaway suggested the same type of thing, but I hadn't seen one with a kickstand and that can be fully disassembled easily. I think I'll be giving this a try.

TDK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi
i got mine on ebay.co.uk about £95 or $144
i dont bother to break it down as i chuck it in the jeep and drive to the parking area once launched.
i will give it a try for you tomorrow and let you know.

thoray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi TDK
the c-tug fits easy into the front hatch of the pa with some room left over

thoray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thoray wrote:
hi TDK
the c-tug fits easy into the front hatch of the pa with some room left over

thoray

So the C-Tug fit into the front hatch with the trolley still assembled? Did you still have the white liner bucket in place in the hatch -- in other words, did the C-Tug fit into the liner bucket?

Thanks!!

TDK

Last edited by TDK on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi TDK
i took the c-tug apart and it all fits with some spare room in the liner.
hope that helps

thoray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thoray wrote:
hi TDK
i took the c-tug apart and it all fits with some spare room in the liner.
hope that helps

thoray

It does. Thanks for the clarification.

Happy fishing, thoray!

TDK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thoray wrote:
hi all
have a look
http://www.c-tug.com/

thoray

thoray,

My C-Tug arrived this weekend and I'm wondering what you've determined to be the best placement under the Pro Angler hull. With the tri-hull shape of the PA , I can't quite figure the best place to put the C-Tug. There doesn't seem to be any place to get good contact with the C-Tug pads and the hull. I tried it just behind the Mirage drive well and this provided a very nice balance that made the PA much easier to lift from the stern handle. However, the pads are essentially straddling the groves in the PA tri-hull, so the boat is really just sitting on just the edges of the C-Tug pads. It's not ideal, but maybe still the best option I've found. The C-Tug kick stand makes it relatively easy, after a few practice runs, to set the trolley in place and then lift the PA onto the pads. I did have to adjust the C-Tug straps very tight to prevent the trolley from being a little tippy going over obstacles. I'll try to post some pics, but I'd love to see how you are positioning the trolley.

Thanks!

TDK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi tdk
i tend to have the c-tug in about the same place as you have tried as this keeps the weight more even and easy to to lift the rear of the pa.
the c-tug is not a snug fit any were on the pa but it seams to be the best option at the moment when on your own.

thoray