Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Top Twenty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The following ranking is an assessment of available windy land and wind energy potential for wind turbine installations of the inland, continental United States and is determined by average speed and density. Where as any hilltop may provide enough wind for a small turbine, utility-scale power plants require minimum average speeds of 13 mph. I've had my butt handed to me when racing a "floater" regatta and I respect the ability to sail in light winds, but when small craft advisories are out and gale warning flags are flying, Hobies come into their own.

1 North Dakota 2 Texas 3 Kansas 4 South Dakota 5 Montana 6 Nebraska 7 Wyoming
8 Oklahoma 9 Minnesota 10 Iowa 11 Colorado 12 New Mexico 13 Idaho 14 Michigan 15 New York 16 Illinois 17 California 18 Wisconsin 19 Maine 20 Missouri

No attempt to demean any states not listed and concider coastal areas are not reflected as this is for land based turbines. If someone is thinking of a sailing vacation, considering options for a transfer, a part of the country to live after college, where do you rank? Yes, I am very bored.

Post subject: Top Twenty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Missing from the list is The Gorge. World famous for wind, this section of the Columbia river at Hood River, Oregon is home to many world class events in Windsurfing, and was the site of the Hobie 14 and 17 Nationals in 1990. Just up steam is Goldendale, Washington, site of windmachines by Boeing, and others.

Caleb Tarleton, Seattle