Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, so I am about to upgrade and jump from an 82 H18 to a 93 H20, but I have a couple of questions and would love some advice. I have got the seller down to $2,000, but this boat needs at the minimum, a tramp, running rigging, and possibly replacement standing rigging. It has two mains and a jib that are all in good to excellent condition. The hulls feel solid, but were apparently painted by the previous owner. The boat has been sitting in the sun for the last 3 years uncovered and getting full sun exposure. The trailer is in good condition and the boat also comes with a set of cat tracks with plastic wheels. The following is what I am concerned about:

The hulls have some stress fractures where the front cross bar joins to them. Is this normal/bad/ok?Image

The hulls also have some gaps or fractures where the briddles attach. Is this normal/bad/ok?
The halyard track on the comptip has a chip in it. Is this expensive to replace/fix/or just leave it alone?
More in the following post....

Last edited by CCMatt on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

And the biggest concern, is the corrosion and holes in the mast and mast tang for shroud attachment.... is this really bad, can I leave it alone, can it be fixed?

Just a couple shots of the boat as it sits.

Thats pretty much it. Any help/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. And finally, is the boat worth the asking price?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just my $.02... (but I've never owned a 20)

I have heard that the first couple years of H20's had a high rate of hull failure...believe that it had to do with "H" bulkheads inside the hulls, but maybe it also could have been around the xbar attachments...someone who knows more on this might want to chime in.

It is quite unlikely that you could successfully disassemble the hulls from the xbars ( for repair or reconditioning, for example) due to the amount of corrosion that is present...the crossbar bolts are threaded directly into aluminum plates bedded into the hulls. Probably would pull a good chunk of the threads with the bolts.

I would not sail that mast. (I've scrapped one for far less corrosion) Or at the very least move the tang down a few inches into good aluminum (assuming there is) and modify the rigging accordingly.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the mast looks scary! and also tuff to replace. But for 2 grand if the sails are excellent and the daggers and rudders are good, you could prob. get most of your money back parting it out when it fails(if the mast doesn't fall on you and kill you)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had a 1994 and the hulls had the same issue this one is showing - cracking out at the inner connection of the rear crossbar. Luckily our hulls were covered by warranty. I'd say you'd be looking at doing some glass work for sure. I'd also inspect the rudders real well. Some of the early ones had issues too.

The tramp is toast.

I also wouldn't trust that mast. That is a ton of corrosion at the tang. If your mast blows up, you'll probably have a tough time getting a replacement.

Based on the condition of the rest of the boat, I'd say new standing rigging is a definite.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a bunch for the replies. After considering my options I have decided not to get it. The scariest part of the whole deal was the mast. I saw that first, and then started noticing the rest of the issues. The bottom line is that I do not want to get something that I have to put that much time and effort into. The search continues, if anyone knows of any H20's or H21's for sale in Texas, please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Say, that isn't the one for sale in Corpus is it? I was gonna go look at one there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you compare the photos of the H20 on Corpus craigslist flicker link it does look loke the same boat.

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing