Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wing end caps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I finished the bottom job on the 21SE. So much easier than I expected once we had sun after 6 weeks!!!

When we were flipping the boat, one of the missing end caps to the wing support fell out of the wing support hole. It had serious glue (5200?) on the inside to supposedly seal cap. After looking at all the wing end caps, all of them were missing the rivets, but were still held in place with this glue. One even had water and sand from long ago (smelled terrible) still in the wing tube.

I will be replacing the rivets, but I am not sure that I am going to seal the end caps for the following reasons.
:arrow: If they are not sealed at the bottom the water will drain until the water will be only as high as the wing socket.
:arrow: Water that does enter into the wing from somwhere in the top will not drain out, holding more water than is described above.
:arrow: If water does get in, how do you ever drain it?

Please let me know your thoughts on sealing these wing tubes at the end cap or not! I am just not seeing the pro's outweighing the cons.

Post subject: Re: Wing end caps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just order 4 new end caps from my Hobie dealer in Indy this week to keep as spares.I have noticed that one of my wing plugs leaks out water when I remove it.If my memory is right,you want 1/8" countersunk stainless steel rivets.As far as which caulking to use,I use silicon which I can remove later if needed.They do eventually lose their watertight seal.Let me know which caulking you are using.It would be nice to seal that leaking wing plug more permanently,yet still be able to replace wing cap if it fails...Bill 404 21SE

And as my infamous buddy Dallas likes to say,"May you always have nuclear winds to fill your sails!And remember:Sheet in and hike out!....Take no prisoners!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are you talking about the Wing leg end cap p/n 35081001 that covers the leg end that goes down into the hull? I tried to order some replacements and was told that they're out of stock, so if you do manage to get some, please post so that I can hit my dealer up again.

Thanks

TC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

In stock.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I machined some of those caps out of aluminum many years ago because I got tired of replacing them. If there is interest maybe I will knock a few more out.

Anybody?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

one of my caps fell off the wing tube and lodged at the bottom of the hole It took me about 5 hours of fishing to get it out I finally used pvc pipe and pvc glue to stick plug and pull it out Re-sealed all four plugs with Dow 5200 and put in new alumnium rivets this should hold for another 20 years

Bottom line should be to secure them before they fall off or get lost I learned the hard way
I might buy one extra for the Hobie Hell Box
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just picked up 4 new plugs from my Hobie dealer in Indy today and plan on using Dow 5200 to seal the loose one.The other 3 are for my spare parts tool box.They were $12.50 each.I also got a new ball($27.80) for under my mast and some new decals for my mast to replace the 21 years old ones,thanks Sailboat Inc.in Indianapolis. :D
Bill 404 21 SE