Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrades for a Hobie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my first Hobie at the end of last season and would like to upgrade some things on it. The things in mind include:
1. A new mesh tamp as the grommets are starting to rip out of the vinyl one I have
2. New Running rigging as mine looks like it needs replaced
3. Low Profile jib blocks
4. Low profile Mainsheet system
- The previous two to help in mast rake
5. Aussie style jib halyard

Is there any of this that may not be recomended for a new sailor or anything that I didn't include that I should? I am looking to have an enjoyable time on this boat, have it be easy to use, and plan on keeping it for a while at this point. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats pretty close to a grand in new stuff. Yowie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

re: the low profile main blocks.

I found a set of instructions on how to turn the 5:1 Seaway 'hi-profile' blocks into a low-profile set with only some time, a few bolts, and some tools. I can't find the link to the instructions at the moment, maybe someone could help...I was going to write up my own set with pictures; perhaps I will do this when I help a fleet member do this upgrade on her boat.

In any case I gained another 3-5" at the blocks for about $3.00 in hardware and a few hours of work (mostly trying to figure out the directions or trying to come up with solutions to minor problems) - I need to add to this cost a swivel- or twist-shackle for hanging the blocks from the boom, since I am using two straight shackles to achieve the correct angle here - but the cost is entirely reasonable compared to $250+ for a new low-profile set.

If one were to aquire another Seaway single block (easy to salvage from a parted-out boat or from eBay), it would be another few dollars to add that block to the stack on the boom and have a cheap low-profile 6:1 system!

Someone remind me come the new year and I'll post a guide with pictues.

*edit* I wonder if there is a minimal-cost solution for making low-profile jib-cars from existing parts? The ones I have are terrible - tall and nearly impossible to release under load. I'll take a look at this too!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject: Xmas List
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was dreaming up the same upgrade list, but I stumbled on an 87' 16 with all those upgrades, in addition to what you've listed it has epo rudders, a downhaul, a hot stick, a comp tip and hulls that are in better shape than mine. I had to buy it. I scored silly on this one at a fraction of the cost of the upgrades. I now have two 16's w/two trailers. (which I don't need)
I guess my point is where do you stop and just buy a newer boat with upgrades? You can buy a cat for a grand, put a grand in it and you still have a boat you could sell for a grand or a couple hundred bucks more.
I seems to me that if you do get upgrades, save your original stuff so you can put it back on you cat when you sell it and take your upgrades with you to your next cat or sell them on ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree about getting the newer (or more updated) boat. You will spend about the same amount of money on the upgrades as a newer H16 will cost. The upside is you can create an uber-boat using the best of both boats and selling the not so nice one and recover most of your cost for the upgrades. I have also been know to make some good trades with the extra boat. I recently traded an old H14 on a trailer for some Magnum wings for my H18.

Before you buy a bunch of new stuff, think about what you are going to do with the boat. If you are not going to race, I suggest you sail the boat first, then start getting the upgrades. I would, however, get the new standing and running rigging and the tramp.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: Upgrades for a Hobie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rk04 wrote:
I bought my first Hobie at the end of last season and would like to upgrade some things on it. The things in mind include:
1. A new mesh tamp as the grommets are starting to rip out of the vinyl one I have
2. New Running rigging as mine looks like it needs replaced
3. Low Profile jib blocks
4. Low profile Mainsheet system
- The previous two to help in mast rake
5. Aussie style jib halyard

Is there any of this that may not be recomended for a new sailor or anything that I didn't include that I should? I am looking to have an enjoyable time on this boat, have it be easy to use, and plan on keeping it for a while at this point. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rk04,

What year is the boat?
Does it have double trapeze?
Righting line?
Comp tip mast? (required for racing)
Hot stick tiller extension?
How about a downhaul upgrade.
EPO or fiberglass rudders.
How about glueing the frame for rigidity. Rebuilding the rudder/steering system.

You could buy a newer boat, but it is fun rebuilding older boats. There's loads of info on the world's most popular beach cat. Learn your boat, have a blast doing it and keep asking questions.

Post subject: Re: Upgrades for a Hobie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Nick. I bought my 16 at the beginning of last season and sailed it weekly. Advice is always a good thing to have but sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming.

One of my buddies went with me my first several times out. After that, I began sailing by alone. I read alot and watched videos I had gotten from Murray's. Knowing that nothing replaces experience, I went out at least once a week testing what I had learned. As I would notice inadequacies or weaknesses in some of the boat's "systems," I would make modifications (relacements) between outings. I never sailed without an upgrade to test.

There is one word that I've found to be uniform throughout the sailing community. That word is "System." The manner in which my boat operates works for "me." At first, all I wanted to do was sail. The boat I bought (as it was) was enough for that. But through my experiences with it, I've developed a desire to race. Now I'm designing "boom vang" and "mast rotation" systems. Things I knew nothing about and were unnecessary until now. (I still haven't found out if a mast rotation control arm on a 16 is class legal or not) I've spent more for upgrades and improvements ($400, just on beach wheels) than I paid for the boat. There will always something else to buy.

As Nick said, "sail your boat." Decide what you want to do with it, one step at a time. Oh, whatever you do, I do recommend you change all standing rigging, especially if it's an older boat. Enjoy your boat. It promises to be more thrills than you could ever have imagined.

Happy sailing,
David