Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good fix to help minimize the wear on the bottom of the hulls when landing a lunching from a beach? I am not a racer and just purchased a used H17. Being a contractor I was thinking of taping a straight line about 1 inch above the bottom of my hulls and spraying on some truck Bed liner paint on the bottom of the hulls. I know some of you think that is funny but how much would that really hurt the performance and would it work? Is there a better way? I used my boat for 1 week and allready notice wear that was not there before. Again I am not a racer and just got the boat to have fun and have allready accomplished that. Now I am looking to minimize wear on the hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Beach wheels.

The truck bed liner idea is interesting, but it goes on very rough and would make dragging over sand even more difficult.

The 17 is not meant to be dragged on the sand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2nd on the beach wheels. They're a little pricey, but after the first use, you'll forget all about that.

One of the big problems with dragging the 17 through the sand is that you'll inevetibly get sand in the centerboard well which will jam the centerboard getting it stuck in the up position. Then you'll have to stick something in from the top of the hull to push the board down which will scratch the heck out of the board. Whenever I have to drag my boat across sand (like when comming in to a beach), I'll grab the front crossbar and pick the boat up so the centerboard wells are clear of the sand.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I use Beach Wheels already. I was not so worried about the extra effort dragging the boat off the beach as I am just making many beach landings and take offs. I know there would be a little extra drag in the water but I can not image it would be very noticeable if I was not racing. Some one I know said to just add an extra layer of Glass to the bottom of the hulls. Any other suggestions?

You are correct on the center board getting jammed! It seems to happen almost every time I turn the boat around on the beach to head back out. I found the best way to get it back out is to use needle nose pliers and be very careful how hard you clamp down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the same problem. So I built up a 1/8 epoxy layer on the bottom of my hulls from the front of the center board well to the stern, tapering then feathering at the edges. Each year I resurface. It adds a couple of pounds to the boat, but it is toward the stern so the extra weight is inconsequential. It has worked well for me. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea I figure that is what I will end up doing. You know what I will be doing this winter in my garage. :) Thanks for the reply..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have, Like many of us, Looked everywhere for the answer to hull problems.
I have an uncle who works maintaining an air fleet for marathon oil and he gave me THE Answer!!! It's an aluminum tape used for sealing seams and some other temp repairs on aircraft. it comes in a variety of thicknesses and is the deal! Last season my father and I took out our 21SC on a weekend trip, first day in we hit an underwater snag while reaching to close to the shoreline. we patched it with 2 layers of the tape (large patch over small like a glass repair) and To be honest I probably wont bother to patch it this summer. IT IS THAT GOOD! well now I'm putting a 3" stripe down the keels on my 16 and the bottom of our 18's dagger-boards an I expect great things! it comes in a variety of thicknesses from 2mil foil to 4mm (the Thickest I've yet heard of) My roll says IdealTape Co. Lowell MA on it. The adhesive probably varies between brands and intended uses so I don't know about the chimney tape sold at sears and such. But from What I've seen This is The Answer to our prayers. i Imagine it will take a while to wear through 2+mm of AL.
here is a picture of what it looks like
http://www.componentforce.com/userfiles/image/categories/aluminiumtape165c_lg.jpg
I have almost a full 150' of this stuff so I won't be buying another roll anytime soon, but go out there and see what works...I really think this might just be the ticket! And Regardless of whether or not it's a good keel protector, It is a great patch! I keep 2 4x4" squares on all the boats just in case.

Happy Hunting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jack,

Any idea on retailers who would carry this stuff? A quick look online shows only bulk vendors. I could really use something like this to protect hulls on my H14T due to shores of lake I sail being mostly loose shale and coarse sand beach. Any pics of it on your keels? Curious as to appearance.

Thanks.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put to strips of carpet 20 feet my 1 foot wide down on the beach and pull it up on those. It protects the hulls and slides on and off the carpet with ease.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now that is what I call a controlled beach landing! 1 foot wide? not much room for eara. Not to mention spinning the boat into the wind after beached.
Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After 35 years of sailing I have never done a beach landing. That is way to hard on the boat. I have always luffed just before hitting the beach. Even in high water situations and needing to pull it on the dock I just luff it as well with the jib furled.