Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sail single handed mostly, sometimes with the kids.
Want a little more power / speed / hull lifting in moderate breezes
Sure would love to see a Wave "pro" or "plus"; foot or two longer, 10 or 20 m ore sq ft of sail?
Love the rotomolded indestructibility, would want to keep that

Ok, so thats a Getaway I know but man, the extra weight is a killer moving around low bank water front by myself..

Thoughts?

BTW, I had a ball today on Lake Whatcom Washington. 10 -12 knots, a little gusty but some good squirts. Man, I love the Hobie, but as Kirk would say, " i need more power! ".

Thanks all

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to sail larger cats, moved on to other things, now I'm back. I picked up a used Bravo to sail on the lake behind my house and after about a year I wanted more. My target was a cat 14-15' that could really move.

I looked long and hard at a Hobie 14, most I found were beat with hull de-lamination, old sails and there was the issue of how much weight they could handle. I almost purchased a Nacra 450, it was in excellent shape, it was the weight and sheer size that made me back off. I don't think I could have righted it by myself, without extra equipment and it was just to much boat for the lake.

After about a year of checking out boats in this range, and knowing with my limited time, I would rather be sailing then repairing a used boat, I purchased a new Wave. Yes sometimes I would like more speed, so I just have to wait for those real windy days.

Here is a link that compares some cats in the range you are looking at. However, if you want to stay with rotomolded hulls, there's not to many choices.

http://mystereowners.org/mystere/43specs.html

Good Luck, let us know what you find.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hear that Hobie? It's time for a new boat. Perhaps you could crowdsource the design. Some thing between the Wave and the Getaway with a performance approach?

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Charlie, interesting boat. Pity they don't make the Mystere anymore.

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to agree that I would also like a Super Wave. I have been looking at the same problem. I sail mostly solo and the Wave is great for that, light, easy to rig and a blast in big winds, but a dog when it gets light.

I am looking at the Getaway and will make that move when I get my Wave sold. I have read that the Getaway can be righted solo but I still am a little nervous about it. My perfect boat wold be a 15 foot Wave with a little more sail.

If I could justify 2 boats I would keep the Wave and get the Getaway as well.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STEP UP?? Man, you've STEPPED UP if you're sailing a Wave.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Wave is awesome, don't get me wrong, but when I have a group of kids that want to go sailing the Getaway would provide a bigger platform to do that with. For example the past 3 weekends of sailing I have had at a minimum 3 kids that want to go sailing and they can all fit on the Wave, but it gets very sluggish with that much weight.

So here is a question for those who have sailed both, does the Getaway compare to the solo sailing fun a Wave has in high winds? This past July 5 I spent the day sailing in Lake Michigan in winds in the high teens with gusts into the high 20s. The Wave was perfect, fast, nimble not overpowered, lots of fun solo. I dumped the boat and it was easy to right by myself. When I added a couple kids it really slowed down, reaction to rudder input slowed down and the excitement was not the same.

Would the Getaway provide that solo sailing fun of the Wave with the ability to add a couple kids to the crew and keep that speed and excitement?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cats are very sensitive to weight, as you can see by adding the kids to the Wave. By going to a larger cat with more sail area, the addition of 3 kids won't be so drastic, but it will still impact the performance of the boat.

Considering the day you describe above, if you were out solo in a Getaway, you may have been overpowered, and the fun you had on the wave might be turned to work trying to keep a Gateway under control.

Also, if you dumped a Getaway in those conditions, I'm not so sure you could right it by yourself, without using something like a righting bag or pole.

The last thing to consider is setup and getting the boat into the water. A Getaway will take more of an effort.

I will say I haven't owned or sailed a Getaway, but using experience from owning/sailing other 16-18' cats.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That is the info I am looking for. I have been trying to figure out if I could translate the awesome solo fun of the Wave into a bigger boat. As with everything there are trade offs, the question then is, is it worth it?

I had asked on the Getaway page about sailing the boat in high winds without the jib or maybe a reef, with the boomless main that may be a problem if possible at all. Getting the boat depowered to the right level is one thing but then the righting issue is the other. I like sailing the Wave to the edge on days like that because I know I can get her back up myself. If I can't get a larger boat back over I will play a lot more carefully, however, things happen.

I dumped the boat once on July 5th because a group of kids had swum out way past the swim bouys and I did not see them in the troughs of the waves until I was very close. I cranked the tiller over and dumped the boat, to their great delight. So no matter how carefull you are there is still the chance a cat will go over.

My debate continues...but I am leaning back to the Wave a little..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ILhobie, you articulated my musings exactly, Wage good when wind blasting, not soo good in light airs. Getaway soooper heavy when compared to wave when man handling ( extra over head in rigging etc. ) We need a Superwave. The US had 300 million odd people, surely there is a market?

Failing that, has anyone messed with " pimping" a wave? Add some square footage and somehow extend the hulls to compensate?

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Mark:

Rick White out of Ohio has fabricated a "super Wave" with a bow sprit and a screacher rigged up for lighter air. He claims he can take H16s with it in the right weather. Check out cat sailor or just google super wave and rick white and you should find it.

Good Luck

Mark White

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mr. Miller:

Could we get the Dragoon imported to the USA?

Looks like a super wave to me?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't think the Dragoon will get you there. There was used one near here for sale, but I didn't look at it because it just wouldn't fit my needs. Too small.

Interesting that you mention the 450, Oerterch, because that and the 500 were up there on my list. Never could find one, even to look at. The dealers are not to be found, also.

Quote:
Failing that, has anyone messed with " pimping" a wave? Add some square footage and somehow extend the hulls to compensate?

I looked at Rick White's Hooter for the Wave. That looks very logical, but it was pricey.

The happiest sailboat would be one that sets up as easily as the Wave, is as manageable in size and weight as the Wave, is as simple to maintain as is the Wave, can carry as many people as the Wave, and sails as fast as a 16.

Isn't this what we all want? No muss, no fuss, and fast enough in 5-10 mph air?

I hoped for the H15 to be imported. Pretty close to fitting all the criteria above. No hope there.

Because it was designed to cruise in 5-10 mph air, I started looking at the Isotope. Nice boat, smallish.

So, then I started looking hard at the F16 Blade. Can be sailed one up or two up. But, IMO, too much boat for a weekend warrior.

Finally, I realized what I was looking for was a hybrid, like a hybrid bike -- something between a mountain bike and a road bike. It does not yet exist in sailboat...

So, to answer the first question, the logical step is the 16. But if you find an FX that is really priced right.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I see your point about the 16 but the more I think about it I like the simple sail plan of the Wave and easy rigging so I think my perfect boat for the way I sail would be a Wave just a little bigger with the same sail plan. Everytime you add a sail or equipment the sailing becomes more complex. I enjoy just going out and having a main sheet to control the boat. I used to own and race Tarten 10s in Chicago. The best part of that one design race boat was the simple design and class rules that limited what you could do with the boat. The Wave is much the same, easy to sail, easy to rig and a blast when it gets windy.

Maybe someone could design a bigger main sail or a 2nd comp tip that is a few feet taller to add some more sail for those light days. Maybe I just need to buy a second boat and stack my Wave on top.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For me, on my lake, the wind is like " a gift". It comes and blows like all get out and then an hour later... gone. That's is the beauty of the wave, slide down a pole, run to the boat with the sail. Halyard - downhaul, sheet block - LAUNCH!

I have spent the additional 20 minutes rigging the 16, sailing. That is the beauty of these newer boats. Someone here nailed it. We need a "tweener", a 15 footer with commensurate sail area. Then I will be at peace. Get on it Hobie, I will reward you with a purchase and won't stop influencing others to do the same!

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)