Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Walt,

I will be there this weekend as well. I am going down Friday AM and I have to pick up my Trailer in Havasu. I am than going to the river on the other side of parker dam. How long will you be there. I am heading back to cool Vegas Sunday. I have sailed on Lake Havasu lots of times. I was down at the far south end near Parker Dam and Bill Williams Preserve. Lots of wild life there in the spring. I have not sailed around the island under London Bridge. Just so you know it will be very busy in the channel at the bridge. It is narrow and lined with large power boats. There is a lot of eye candy to start at but the boaters don't give a dam about a kayak or sail boat. They have know idea what the rules of the road are. My email address is in an a post above if you want to send info on where you are staying and I can send you my cell #. Yes it is going to be hot. Here is the forecast for Friday "Partly sunny and very hot. Highs 112 to 117. Light wind in the morning...becoming southwest around 10 mph in the afternoon" Looks like good afternoon winds. Remember it is a "Dry Heat" yea so is a blow torch. Lots of water, start drinking way before you feel thirsty. It is not bad on the water, you get went and you can jump in any time. Hope to see another AI out there. So far I am the only one I have seen. I gets lots of stares when I sail. It seems like the boaters have never seen a sail before.

Don

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We will arrive late Saturday night. We will be at Lake Havasu city until mid next week.

I dont know what your plans are on Sunday.. but if you pick the spot (on Lake Havasu), Ill be there. I was going to launch off Rotary park but no problem to go to a different place. If your traveling on Sunday, I dont mind early.

Ive been more interested in the winter sailing/kayaking for Havasu. Last Feb (and how I found out about Havasu) these guys had this event http://www.flickr.com/photos/sailhavasu ... 463630958/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely hot in the summer at Havasu. Didn't go out on Sunday (I think it reached 118 or so on Sunday) but went out all the other mornings I was there and had pretty much perfect steady breeze every day. Except for one day, I launched at Rotary park. The exception was launching at a public beach on the island. All pretty good free launching. In the mornings, the lake was pretty much empty. Seems a fair amount of kayaking every morning launching from Rotary park..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kayaked a few times, but rafted the Colorado from Glen Canyon Dam in Page, AZ. The views were breathtaking and it was fairly cool due to the magnificent canyons.
Hoover dam is quite a wonder in itself, but hot is putting it mildly!

Thks, CP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Before this thread devolves into a canoe and rafting thread...

I am putting in Sept. 3, just below Davis Dam and predicting haulout in Lake Havasu City on Sept. 6th, with fri, sat and sunday nights camping on the river.

Most likely, I'll spend Thursday evening at the Tropicana Express in Laughlin for $19.99/night.

First resupply should be in Needles, may not get all the way to Parker Dam... :(

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

Psalm 107:23, 24 (KJV)
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sedona AI,

Are you still planning your trip this weekend? I would love to join you but my Ai is in Souther California in the back of my Toy Hauler. We are going to LA on Friday to get it and drive to Parker AZ. I will be sailing the river Saturday. If I end up staying till monday I will look for you in Havasu. Have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was in Havasu this past weekend and the wind was awsome. THere had to be 3-4' swells and a good steady wind. I just wish I had the AIwiht me. Oh well will be back there soon.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok it is time. the temps are down and I am going to take the first leg on this river trip. I am going to launch at Hoover Dam and go down to Davis Dam in Laughlin. I am planning on Launching early Thursday morning October 7th and end in Laughlin sometime Sunday afternoon October 10th. The dates might change but I don't think they will. I need to set a date so that I have a goal to get this done. I am going to spend three nights on the river, and will be planning out camps sites next week. I will post my float plan and some google earth images of the planed trip. I nned some help with making sure I bring all that I need for supplies and safty gear. There is a large marina at Willow Beach which is only a couple hours from the dam. The next large marina is at Cotton wood cove at Searchlight Nvada. This is a little over half waydown. If anyone is interested it a great adventure on the Colorado River let me know. I will be taking lots o photos and video as well as spending some time fishing and exploring. The second leg will be in the spring from Davis Dam to Parker Dam at Lake Havasu. That will be aound April/May.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://windsourceii.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... ohave.html

I enjoyed this - kayak from below Hoover Dam to Lake Mojave.

Couldnt help notice the comments about all the pesky cross wind on the trip..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Currently scheduled to put in @ the base of Hoover Dam 10-28 and hual out 10-31... somewhere down river! :lol:

Had to put back about >$50 worth of 7.5' topo maps of the Hoover to Davis Dam river section when I found the Lake Mohave Fishing Chart which covers the same area for ~$9, comes with notes and details the 7.5' series don't AND is waterproof! 8)

Got the Lower Colorado map too, for detailed coverage from Davis Dam to Yuma!

Get your's here: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sku=103179

Mine are nice!

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ill be crossing the new Hoover Dam bypass bridge probably on the day you put in. Ill be looking down at the river - have a great trip. That sure looks like an interesting section of the Colorado river and Ill have to get those maps. Heading to Lake Havasu (with the AI of course) in a few hours.. Yee Haw!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We stopped in at Willow Beach on this trip (driving only - didn't get in the water) and it looks like a really cool place. I went back through the posts in this thread and one video by LByac shows going from Hoover dam down to Willow beach - plus some picts and a map Sedona AI posted.

It looks like a really GREAT day trip to put in at Willow beach and go up river to the dam then return to Willow Beach. Im guessing you guys have done this already but how much current do you run into - and is this pretty easy to handle with the AI - such as staying off to the side and out of the flow? Looks like it would be maybe 4 or 5 miles from Willow Beach to the Dam.

Or maybe an overnighter - put in at Willow Beach, spend the night up river, back to Willow Beach the next day???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:P

Just completed the run from Walters Camp below Blythe to Fishers Landing N of Yuma. Nice 38 mile segment.

Jan 14-17th 2011 is shaped up to hit in the daytime high of 65-75 degrees down there and low of 40's...
Drove off on the evening of the 13th from NM and hope to make it most of the way into Flagstaff AZ before falling asleep.

On the 14th I will go to Quartzite AZ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jm2xQoFLaA&NR=1
and go south to meet up at the take out point and shuttle to Walters camp.

Starts s. of Blythe
255 miles from LA

http://walterscampriverproperties.com/p ... amp-5.html

This will be the take off point on the morning of the 15th.

Then we go and stay for two nights in this huge state park called Picacho
Jan 15th at Camp 4s and then Jan 16th at the Group Camp where we will have turkey for dinna.

http://www.picacho.statepark.org

Phone: 760-393-3052 http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/641/files ... eFINAL.pdf

Size: 6,759 acres. Location: 24 miles off Interstate 8, north of Winterhaven, just east of Yuma, AZ. Park's remote location requires visitors to drive over 18 miles of dirt roads that are passable for cars and vehicles with trailers and motorhomes, but can be impassable in summer thunderstorms. Travelers on this road should carry extra water and other essential supplies. Facilities: 54 primitive family campsites (1 site ), group camp, 2 boat-in group camps, ***solar showers, chemical toilets () , picnic areas () , hiking trails, boat ramps. Activities: Camping, fishing, hiking, boating, swimming, water-skiing, wildlife viewing, guided tours.

The Kayak Group Camp is located at the second Picacho boat in location. At the end of the constructed dockage is a slot that goes inland to the boat ramp and kayak takeout. Kayaks are stored to the outside of the boat ramp. It's unsecured so you may want to take your boat another 300 feet up to the campground on the left side of the road to the boat ramp.

Special Features: Area was the site of a gold mining town in the 1800s, and visitors can hike to the ruins of the mill sites. Well woth the hike...I did it form the park entry area via Railroad Canyon which wond around to the old trestle area of the mill.

Eight miles of the lower Colorado River are the recreation area's eastern border, providing opportunities for fishing and water sports. Temperatures at Picacho range from a wintertime low of 20 degrees to a summertime high of 120; the ideal time to visit is from mid-October to the end of April.

The last 10 miles down to the takeout at fishers landing was easy with the AI being used with the Small Sail Adapter.

a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NICE! Getting to be the season, time to pull off the tarps~! 8)

'08 Revolution (SOLD!)
'07 Adventure Island
'07 Adventure Island