Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wich hobie ??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi there

i am considering buying a hobiecat catamaran. i have some sailing experience and windsurfing. looking to sail localy in the L.A. / san diego / santa barbara area. mainly sailing alone, but once in a while take a guest (or two ?) with me.

wich one should i go with ?? so many choices... i am lightweight (145lbs)... so what sail and boatsize is the best for me ??

thanks for your input

Post subject: Which boat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:00 pm 
H16 :D

Post subject: Which one?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Mainly alone?

Hobie 17 or 17 Sport. You would need a water bag to get enough weight to right it, but they are designed for single handing. Wave or 16 would be the next two choices. The 16 is a handful in a blow, where a 17 is more controlable due to being able to trapeze from the wings.

Also depends on how much wind you would go out in. I would rather be on a 17 when it is blowing between 12-20. The 16 is great to single hand at winds under that.

Any of them can take 1-3 or even 4 people out in lighter air. None are great with that many people when it is blowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:53 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Are you wanting to race or purely recreation. The Hobie getaway can be easily sailed alone and defiantly take a few people with you. It isn't going to have the performance of the others but if definatly an option!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks guys... that will get me started in the right direction...
it would be only for recreation but with the option to go out in 12 and above winds without getting hammered...

Post subject: Which Hobie?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where are you going to be sailing? If you are sailing on the ocean, I'd say the 16 is simpler, no centerboards to deal with. If you are sailing on lakes go for a 17 Sport. You'll want the jib when you have company. Whatever boat you get, be sure you can right it. Gary Friesen, aka Hobie Gary makes righting poles/paddle for cats. You can find him on the Beachcats Mailing list. For a link, go to www.thebeachcats.com Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

what are righting poles/paddles ?

couldn't find any info in regards to that on that website...

thanks

Post subject: Righting Poles/Paddles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Righting Poles, and Paddles are poles/paddles that one uses to right the boat after a capsize. Rick White has one at www.catsailor.com that attaches to the front crossbar or dolphin striker under the trampoline, but is designed to be used by two people. Gary Frisen's Soloright, is designed for one person. He is also known as "Hobie Gary" and you will find his postings on the Beachcats Mailing List. There is a link to the messageboard for this group at www.thebeachcats.com in the main menu on the left side of the page. If you are in Southern California you should post on that list as there are many members from that area. Some of them are getting together this weekend to celebrate the re-opening of Hobie Beach. Check it out!