Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My gal and I got a pair of I9s boats early in the year. What a blast! Really stable, surprisingly DRY even when winds come up or the wakeboard boats are in the area. They will turn a circle so tight they can almost rear-end themselves. We've had two in a small car trunk though that was a bit of a trick. They are easy to set up and after you have done it a few times the packing up operation goes mighty smooth and easy. Fishing from one of these is great, my 14ft fishing boat has hardly been wet all year. What a treat!

But (There is always a "but" isn't there???). But there are some issues that really should have been addressed at the drawing board and in assembly. Here are some examples:

>The rudder has issues, both in steering and in lifting/lowering. These things are fixable if you are reasonably handy. I've finally gotten to the bottom of these issues but I shouldn't have had to. Grrrrrr.... (I'll tell you more later)

>The drive stuff is WAY over-tensioned from the factory. Find the drive setup-guide here on the forum and use it to make it right.

>The paddle brackets don't hold the paddle very well. Maybe if they were a little closer together the hull wouldn't pop the paddle free so readily. Use a paddle leash or bring spare paddles...

>The packs are operationally pretty nice but they really need to be considerably more rugged.

>They are new. Getting tech answers is not especially easy.

Anyway, if you are modestly handy you can get past the frustrating issues and you'll have a boat that puts a smile on your face so big it hurts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Pete, all good points. Your rudder up/down fix sounds like a great solution: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12999 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks RR. It is a pretty easy thing to test for yourself. Grab the line that needs to come forward and give it a (much lighter) tug. That is how I first came up with it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also having rudder issues and not fixed yet.