Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I bought a Ritchie Compass for my new Adventure

I don't have a bait tank or other 12v system and am not planning on one soon.

And I don't want the weight of a 12 v battery.

But I figure a NiHi battery pack for the Ritchie LED may do the trick (along with a toggle switch).

See 20 0z pack at :

http://tinyurl.com/8dmyn

I'd like to be able to pull the pack easily for recharging.

Has anyone put together a system like this with inside hull mounting so I don't re-invent the wheel?

Mahalo

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Dan-I use a 1.3Ah sealed lead acid battery in a very small plastic box for my fishfinder. You can see how I did it HERE. I plan to use eight 2300ma NiMH AA batteries in the same battery box as well. I believe the eight AA batteries will power the fishfinder longer than the 12v lead acid battery. The eight AA's will easily fit into the same battery box as the Werker 1.3Ah battery.
Most 12v items will run fine on 9.6v(eight AA's). Low amperage items like electronic devices do not require the full 12v like a starter motor would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan-The battery pack/charger you showed will certainly do the job...and then some. If you have the Ritchie Compass I have seen on other kayaks, the 12 volt line does nothing for the compass except light the light for night use. If you only use it during the day, no connections are needed. Otherwise, you can go to a Radio Shack. I saw a complete setup with rechargable AA batteries, the holder and a charger on sale at $19.99. The weight was like 10 ounces. The capacity was around 2400 ma's. For lighting the compass, that shoud last a very long time between recharges. A lot of folks use this type battery pack to power their fishfinders on kayaks. Most get about 11 to 14 hours continuous (actually several trips at 3 to 4 hours use per trip) use in this application but the draw is many times what a compass light should draw. You could also power navigation lights, a radio, your gps etc. In any event, I have seen anything from tupperware to Pelican cases used for protection and mounted with hook and loop (velcro) strips inside the forward hatch.
BTW is your town also spelled Kawaihae? If so, I'm sure you know of the Radio Shack in Kona.
BTW, I have had my Adventure out twice now and really love it.
Aloha kyt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Ronbo & Kytflyr

Mahalo.

Gives me some ideas.

Ronbo

Great pics and web site!

BTW how does a fathometer (fishfinder)provide temperture other than surface?

I thought you needed a BT (bathothermograph)? (IIRC from 40 years ago in the Navy)

Kytflyr it's Kawaihae harbor about 40 miles north of Kailua town.

Since the post office already used Kailua on Oahu they call it officially Kailua-Kona, Kona being the district. Too may newbies just call it Kona. And yes I visit the Radio Shack here frequently, about to do do again since I read your post.

Mahalo nui lao to both of you.

Aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan-Your welcome and Houoli Kakahiki Hou!
Yes, our usual fishfinders give surface temps and even then slowly since most of us have the transducer/temp module mounted inside the hull for a shoot-thru style. It takes a while for a temp change to show up thru the hull but it will happen.

Having lived out on Johnston Island for eight years (800 miles west of you)and spent a lot of time on the Big Island I know Kona is the area and Kailua-Kona is the town but as a mainlander I forget to make the distinction, sorry. My wife and I are trying to get a Big Island trip together later this year. It's our favorite. kyt