Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well me and a friend took out the getaway today and it was a blast. There are only three things I need advice on. 1) Something to help stepping the mast. I have a bad back and I can see myself hurting it again icon_eek . I know hobie sells mast steppers but is there any other options? 2) Is there a way to transport the boat with the rudders attached? With the way the mast sits on the rear cross member for the trampoline during transport you have to remove the rudders. Is there another option? 3) what is the easiest wat to get the boat back on the trailer without a launch? I am picking up a set of cat trax tomorrow. Will these help? Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you don't have to remove the rudders. The cross bar connecting the rudders has quick release pins. The mast is under the crossbar during transport.

So you pull, the pins. Remove the crossbar. Raise the mast. Replace the crossbar.
I transport with the rudders in the locked up position without any issues...so far.

For solo mast stepping, I use the Mast Stepper III.

With someone around to operate the winch, I have an extension and pulley on the trailers front mast support. I raise the extension, feed the winch line thru it and attache it to the 2 halyard ends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1) Even though I haven't used it myself, I have seen so many good reviews about the mast stepper that I would get it if I were you. I just lift it the regular way (I stand up on the boat while someone else lifts it first from the ground before giving it to me), but if you have a bad back the mast stepper will be a good option.
2) I don't think it is a good idea at all to trailer the boat with the rudders on. Even if yo can secure them you'll get unnecessary wear and tear on them, and considering it takes about 2 minutes to take them off, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. If you are not talking about trailering but just moving it really close, you can just take the control crossbar off (it'll save you one minute)
3) Not sure, I only have cattrax now and no trailer, but when I used to have a hobie 16 we used 4 people to put it on the trailer..... not sure which is the best way with fewer people.

guillermo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the Getaway different in regards to trailering compared to the H16? I owned a H16 13 years ago and my recollection is that everybody left the rudders on when trailering.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not sure I have never been on a H16. For that matter I have only been on a sailboat once, mine last Friday. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have the new style rudders on the getaway removal only takes a second, I rarely took the rudders off my 16 as it was a real pain. I always take my rudders off my getaway when I'm going anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah I have got the new rudders, I was just trying to keep from having them stored somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy wrote:
If you have the new style rudders on the getaway removal only takes a second, I rarely took the rudders off my 16 as it was a real pain. I always take my rudders off my getaway when I'm going anywhere.

I agree with Roy.
I have transported H-16 quite a bit and the rudders were always left on because they were a pain to take out. I would have taken them off if it was a lot easier. New system in the getaway is very easy, so I would definitely take them off.

gz