Hello Hobie people I miss you (current Nacra owner)! I have some questions about a Hobie 17 for use in the ocean.Whining about a lack of response is uncool. Maybe 39 people didn't know the answers.
1. How would you say a Hobie 17 Sport handles the surf compared to the Hobie 16? Not as good. 17 likes flatter water. Beach launching can case problems with the centerboards (small pebbles will jam).
2. Is it still pretty easy to get parts for the Hobie 17 rudders, cams, centerboards? Yes.
3. Is it easy to convert a SE to a Sport? Yes.
4. Does the Hobie 17 have a boom? (not a boomless fan!) SE does, Sport does not (it has a "boomlet"). The boom on the 17 is very low and pretty much prevents a second person from crossing the boat in a tack.
5. Pitchpole easy? It's better behaved than a 16, but it will still go down the mine if you're not attentive in a breeze and waves.
I loved the Hobie 16 but it has a tendancy to pitchpole too easy in rough seas and everyone I sail with has dagger or centerboards so I had trouble following them sometimes since they could point higher. I have daggers on my Nacra and they are a pain in the neck and make it very difficult to solo in the surf. Any info is appreciated!!
Wow 39 views and no replies?