Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hell breached
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all,
I Know this forums is for hobie cats.is it for hobies only?
I just recently picked up a Aqua cat from a friend.He had it set up on rail road ties over the winter and the snow build up caused to much weight and both hull's are severly cracked.The way i see it the only way i can get a good fix is to go threw the top deck and glass from the inside 1st.But the floatation is in the way. can it be cut in that spot and then glassed and then somehow put back in?I would prefer NOT to got threw the top but i dont think an outside patched repair job will do.If i had a camera i would post some pics but i dont.The cracks are bad..split all the way threw.I thought of using a fiberglass filler on outside and then laying some glass over it or cut out section and bevel edge and then "TRY" and patch from outside.my question is how strong would that kind of patch be?Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: hell breached
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

also wanted to point out that the cracks in question are not just on the bottom but split from port to starboard on each hull not lengthwise.but from one side to the other.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If there is enough good material to build on, you can patch it from the outside. However, it will have to be a bulky heavy patch to ensure enough strength for the repair. Your best be would be to sand away any loose or broken material and patch inside and outside. You can make an inspection port for the top of the hull allowing you access to the inside of the hull. Not sure about the floatation on the Aqua but most of that stuff deteriorates over time and becomes ineffective. If you remove it, i reccomend you put floatation bags in the hulls instead.
Hope that helps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you breached hell and made it back to tell the tale.. What more could you ask for..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lol...just realized my typo on hell breached...should have been hull. :lol: hopefully i will be sailing soon and continue my hell freezes over tour.(the eagles)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thank you millipede. what i will do is go threw the top deck and make it an inspection port.glass inside and out.as far as flotation bags i will probably have to try and re use the flotation foam 1st.looks to be in good shape.will post some borrow a camera from somebody and post some before and after pics.And who ever the admin is here,Thank you very much for letting me into your forums.I've read quite a bit in here have enjoyed every bit of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:52 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

woodstock wrote:
hi all,
I Know this forums is for hobie cats.is it for hobies only?

Generally, yes. More general catamaran advice can be found on Cat Sailor - www.catsailor.com. Post something in the General Forum and you should get some good answers.