Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crack left of seat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Pro Angler has about a 3-4 inch crack to the left of the front left seat support. It is not affecting the seat at this time, but am concerned it will grow and cause additional problems. I am having a little of a time getting the crack to meet up flush with each other to fix the issue.

Any suggestions on what epoxy to use and how to get the both sides of the crack to "get flush"?
Else, any other suggestions or alternative fixes is welcome.

thanks.

Post subject: Re: Crack left of seat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know specificaly about the PA, but generally, you can stop a crack from spreading in plastic by drillng a round hole at the end of the crack. I have done this with 1/4" drill, and the resulting round hole dissipates the shearing tension and prevents elongation of the crack. I will let others advise on patch repair. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would talk to your dealer, that may be a warranty issue..............

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've noticed white stress in the plastic seat hinge area as well. could be a defect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My local dealer (who has been very helpful) heat-welded the crack, but now I have stress cracks around the front handle, it is inevitable that the handle will totally break off at some point-it is in just that bad of shape. I haven't treated it poorly, is it possible to have "soft plastic"? Hobie says they can't duplicate the problem-so, no luck for me. I guess I will have to fabricate a rope handle. Now I have an issue with the steering handle. Looks like the whole housing needs to be replaced...that has cost me 3 fishing trips (get out to find out the thing is broken again).

*sigh* I just want to fish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wow, you sure this wasnt dropped off the back off the truck at delivery!!!!!! Did Hobie actually say they wouldnt warranty the boat if handle comes off? Strange I thought they would warranty for the crack in the hull??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

remy4u97 wrote:
wow, you sure this wasnt dropped off the back off the truck at delivery!!!!!! Did Hobie actually say they wouldnt warranty the boat if handle comes off? Strange I thought they would warranty for the crack in the hull??

One side of the handle worked out this morning while I was moving it into my shed. I knew it wouldn't last long.

Through the local dealer who called hobie, they said they "could not duplicate the problem, had heard of no such problems and would not cover it". So now, I have a fully broken handle. So, ANY suggestions other than a frigging rope handle would be appreciated. I'm considering unscrewing the handle and dumping a ton of epoxy back into the holes and redrilling. Any ideas out there?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Take some photos of it and email it to Hobie Support. Give them a call. They are really a good company to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 am 
Site Admin

w3atlsu wrote:
local dealer who called hobie, they said they "could not duplicate the problem, had heard of no such problems and would not cover it".

Hummm? As mentioned in another thread... It is possible if it was the forst of it's kind sort of issue... but this doesn't sound like something our warranty department would say, so ask your dealer to make a claim for you. Let us make the decision.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys, I want to let everyone know that there must have been some miscommunication on this deal somewhere down the line and that did not get communicated to me. Hobie is addressing this issue.

From what I hear, Hobie is now fully aware of the issue and has things in works to resolve my issue. I am out of town and have been mostly out of touch for the last several days and upcoming days, but I have heard good news on the process. I appreciate Hobie and have full confidence in their product!!! Now that I should have my PA issues on track, I get to buy that outback for myself...I mean my wife!

Thanks again!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

J B Weld Marine is a product that may be able to reattach you handle. But it may never ever come off again! Good Luck with the fixx!