Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have aquired a hobie 14 that is in excellent condition except for hull delamination on the top. So I have a few questions:

Can you continue to use the boat with hull delamination without problems?

How permanent is the drilling holes and injecting resin technique? For severe delamination it seems it would add a lot of weight to the hull.

Can I separate the hulls, remove the top deck?

I would rather remove all the foam and re-laminate the deck from the inside and then re-attach the top deck. Is this possible? Has anyone done it? I have a lot of time, fiberglassing experience and supplies.

Also, are these hulls made with polyester resin or expoy? I see people saying to use use epoxy when doing the hole drilling technique for repairing. I thought they where made of polyester resin.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Admin

I would not sail with the delamination. This can cause complete failure of the hull.

Injected resin repair is only as good as the work done. There can be additional failure to other areas of the laminate, so may not be permanent, but is the best / easiest fix.

You can not "separate" the hulls at the deck joint. You can cut away the top surface of the deck and remove foam... then build up with glass.

They are made of polyester resins.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is cutting away the top deck and rebuilding the foam a procedure that has been a lot?

How thick is the foam on the inside?

If I do this will I run into a problem with my frame an hull alignment off setting?

In a side note, I have removed my pylon bolts but I cannot pull my upper castings off the pylons. This is a '76 boat so any ideas on how I un stick these pieces would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Admin

It can take considerable force to remove the castings from the posts. A tight fit combined with wear and corrosion. Requires a heavy dead blow mallet or a steel sledge with a block of wood on the casting.

If the delam can not be injected, removal of the foam and replacement with glass would be the only cure. The upper skin is thin, the foam is about 3/8" think. The procedure would not effect alignment of the hulls. On the deck, the foam does not extend to the rails. It is under "approx" the shape of the non-skid areas.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally got my castings off after letting some wd40 soak in overnight. A rubber mallet was also used to help the process.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can I damage the hull or risers by trying too hard to remove them. Should I give up eventually if I dont get it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Undae wrote:
Can I damage the hull or risers by trying too hard to remove them. Should I give up eventually if I dont get it?

Ultimately, yes. But it takes a lot of force. There are lots of tricks to get the castings off. Big hammers, levers, heat and penetrating oil will usually (eventually) work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks eveyone for all the help.

One more question. Its been said 'sailing with the top deck of the hull delaminated can cause major failure'. My question is how it the riser connected to the hull? Is it fiberglassed securely to the bottom of the hulls or is it more secured on the top?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe it goes through the top and attaches to the bottom in like a boot thing. Before you do all this work repairing your old hulls you might want to look into finding a new set. I bought a H16 with no tramp and missing other parts but with awesome hulls for $200. After selling the stuff I didnt need and keep stuff I wanted doubles of, I ended up with a profit and nice solid hulls that should last me as long as I keep the boat!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru