Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 17 Sport?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Hobie people I miss you (current Nacra owner)! I have some questions about a Hobie 17 for use in the ocean.
1. How would you say a Hobie 17 Sport handles the surf compared to the Hobie 16?
2. Is it still pretty easy to get parts for the Hobie 17 rudders, cams, centerboards?
3. Is it easy to convert a SE to a Sport?
4. Does the Hobie 17 have a boom? (not a boomless fan!)
5. Pitchpole easy?

I loved the Hobie 16 but it has a tendancy to pitchpole too easy in rough seas and everyone I sail with has dagger or centerboards so I had trouble following them sometimes since they could point higher. I have daggers on my Nacra and they are a pain in the neck and make it very difficult to solo in the surf. Any info is appreciated!!

Wow 39 views and no replies?

Post subject: Re: Hobie 17 Sport?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Fa1321tx wrote:
Hello Hobie people I miss you (current Nacra owner)! I have some questions about a Hobie 17 for use in the ocean.
1. How would you say a Hobie 17 Sport handles the surf compared to the Hobie 16? Not as good. 17 likes flatter water. Beach launching can case problems with the centerboards (small pebbles will jam).
2. Is it still pretty easy to get parts for the Hobie 17 rudders, cams, centerboards? Yes.
3. Is it easy to convert a SE to a Sport? Yes.
4. Does the Hobie 17 have a boom? (not a boomless fan!) SE does, Sport does not (it has a "boomlet"). The boom on the 17 is very low and pretty much prevents a second person from crossing the boat in a tack.
5. Pitchpole easy? It's better behaved than a 16, but it will still go down the mine if you're not attentive in a breeze and waves.

I loved the Hobie 16 but it has a tendancy to pitchpole too easy in rough seas and everyone I sail with has dagger or centerboards so I had trouble following them sometimes since they could point higher. I have daggers on my Nacra and they are a pain in the neck and make it very difficult to solo in the surf. Any info is appreciated!!

Wow 39 views and no replies?

Whining about a lack of response is uncool. Maybe 39 people didn't know the answers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like I should get the Hobie 18 since I am always sailing in the Gulf.

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go for the 18 if you plan to sail with a crew. Get the 17 is you plan to go mostly solo. The 16 is a great boat, but tends to pitchpole easier. I love my H17Sport, it is faster than the 16, but is a bit more difficult to launch in the surf. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I keep hearing its not a good boat for the rough water but my H16 was great but as you said once I started getting better at sailing it the tendancy to pitchpole happened more often. I use to solo my H16 pretty regular but do give rides more often now as the popularity of the sport seems to be growing steady!! :)
I sail in the gulf its close to home and I enjoy the swells but getting thru the surf on my Nacra is more of a challenge so I was considering going back to a Hobie!!

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing