Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old style main traveler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 1982 H16 with the main traveler track riveted to the rear crossbar. My traveler car got stuck today near the center of the track. It slides easily for about an inch either way but I can't get it to move any further. It may be getting hungup on a rivet, but all the other track rivets that I can see are tight and recessed. I had recently cleaned the track and sprayed it with sailkote and the traveler car was sliding smoothly.

Any ideas as to why it is stuck, and how do I get it to move to the end of the track so I can replace or repair it?

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Tim H16 wrote:
I have a 1982 H16 with the main traveler track riveted to the rear crossbar. My traveler car got stuck today near the center of the track. It slides easily for about an inch either way but I can't get it to move any further. It may be getting hungup on a rivet, but all the other track rivets that I can see are tight and recessed. I had recently cleaned the track and sprayed it with sailkote and the traveler car was sliding smoothly.

Any ideas as to why it is stuck, and how do I get it to move to the end of the track so I can replace or repair it?

It may have dropped a bearing, or a rivet head may be catching it. Gently "persuade" it to one side with a hammer. Once it clears the center, you can see if there's a rivet head it's catching on. If so, peen the edge down or replace the rivet if it's really messed up. If the car puts up a fight all the way to the corner, it needs to be replaced.

Note that a new car will be very tight in the track until it's broken in. Make sure all the rivet heads are flush.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the traveler cars have changed a bit. The newer style has rollers where as the old one was just two pieces of hard black plastic