Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone
Thanks to the forum for all the advice on repairing leak hulls. I think I've read them all three times.
It looks like there are 3 products suggested and I want to know if there were specific suggestions based on my needs.

I've found threads suggesting these products:
- West System Epoxy (with graphite power)(with filler) - work quickly, shape, sand
- Fiberglass repair kits (BONDO brand, automotive use) - add a strip of fiberglass all along the edge, sand to shape
- Marine Tex - recreate original shape with putty, sand

The repair I need to do:
- 1981 H16 one leaking hull, seems like more than a gallon after 4 hours of sailing.
- The leak I found is from "beach scrape," all along the bottom edge I can see tan fiberglass, there are two 4" long areas that seem to have worn through one layer and leaking.
- No cracks.
- I duct taped this area and went sailing - there was almost no water in the hull after that.
- I have to do this repair on the beach. No trailer. No power.
- I'm handy, but never done fiberglass before.
- The other hull isn't leaking but looks similar.
- I'd like it to last and be strong, it would be nice if it looked nice at the end, but not critical.

Questions:
- Which product is best for my needs?
- Which are non-destructive, un-do-able if I foul it up?
- Which will take me to the end of the season, or should I do it once right?
- Marine Tex seems to offer the option of not flipping the boat - am I dreaming, lazy?
- Anyone with experience brushing on Gelcoat?
- Anything I'm missing here?

thanks so much
frank

frank pichel, H16 Veribold, #71146

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Marine tex. I would not use Marine tex for any kind of premanant leak fix. It is too brittle and does not have the stength needed.
West is good stuff. Used it for years in the sailing shop after the regattas. There were always collisions and these newer hulls like the Lasers and getting thinner and lighter all the time.
I have used Bondo a lot as well. Especially if I need to fix something and there was no marine center near by. The Bondo fiberglass kit is not bad. It is also cheaper than West :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with mili on the tex, it really shouldn't be used anywhere on a Hobie.

Don't use epoxy either. You'll just be wasting $$ and creating problems down the line.

Use polyester. Repair glass with polyester resin and glass. Fair hull with Formula 27 polyester putty. Coat repaired area with polyester gel coat.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have used West System resin and cloth for years with no problems. As for cost, it's a bit expensive but I have a port supply card :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
I agree with mili on the tex, it really shouldn't be used anywhere on a Hobie.

Don't use epoxy either. You'll just be wasting $$ and creating problems down the line.

Use polyester. Repair glass with polyester resin and glass. Fair hull with Formula 27 polyester putty. Coat repaired area with polyester gel coat.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy (et al),

I know that polyester material recommended by all those in the know. What happens when epoxy is used? I've searched in the forum here, but only seen warnings against using it, not the results. My last (professionally done) bottom job blew out pretty spectacularly last week and I'm getting advice from guys on the beach who swear by a surfers sun curing repair kit. I'm pretty sure that stuff is epoxy. They say they've used it for years with great results.

Thanks.