Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new downhaul
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have read that the new 6:1 down haul set up seems to foul up with the jib sheets when trapped out.Has anyone else had this problem.Not yet been able to try mine out yet(darn water when it gets cold gets hard).

Post subject: Hobie 16 6:1 downhaul?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmadge,

You talkin' H16 downhaul?

If so, don't understand how it could interfer with jib sheets as it is not allowed to swivel, so you would not be allowed to (or would be difficult to) control form the trapeze anyway (unless I'm missing something?). My interpratation is the control line is intended to run straight aft on the trampoline and would only be usefull when chancing settings at the windward and leeward marks.

If I'm wrong please let me know, this is a mod we're adding this Winter.

Post subject: Downhaul
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:41 am 
Site Admin

That is correct. You cannot rig the 14-16 dowhaul to use from the wire. This should not be a problem with the jib sheets unless the jib swivel is so close to the mast that the downhaul block would cause an issue. Then only when you are well forward on the side bar which is not how we sail 16s anyway.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes John I am talking 16 downhaul,and adjusting jib sheets from wire.I was just looking in on the discussion about it on the fleet 204 website.See http://www.fleet204.com/ and look under hobie 16 adjustable downhaul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This came up on the Fleet 204 Forum. Some people had reversed the system (now specifically prohibited) to get the lower block/cleat out of the way of the jib sheet when on the wire.

I can see where it would happen, especially on systems with a static jib sheet cleat (mounted on the crossbar instead of on the traveller car), but Matt's right - if you're working the sheet from the wire, you're probably not standing that far forward on the sidebar.

I've had the new downhaul system for over a year now and haven't had any problems with the jib sheets getting tangled on the downhaul cleat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Same as MBounds, one year without problems. However, I have fixed the lower block about 3 inches above the mast base, maybe it can get messed up with the jib sheet if it is fixed at the hole which is used for mast stepping, this seems to be the newer solution and it is very close to the tramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got the 6:1 downhaul for Christmas. I assume y'all run the control line aft, under the jib traveller control lines and jib sheet...then tie it off? Where do you recommend tying it off? Also, how much line do you use after it exits the lower block (it looks like mine came with way too much line)?

Thanks for your help!

Jerome Vaughan
Clinton, Mississippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I cut mine off so that there's just enough to get the gooseneck slide out of the track w/o disconnecting the bottom. (Put a figure-8 knot at the end of the line to keep it from running loose).

After the sail is up, I put the slide in the mast track, pull the downhaul to the loosest I ever want it to go when sailing (the slide is fully in the track, the top of the slide maybe an inch or two down from the opening), then tie a loop in the free end of the line (bowline) that takes up all the slack.

That way, when you round A mark, you grab the loop and uncleat - you don't have to worry about how much to let out. The loop knot stops it. At C mark, the crew grabs the loop and pulls down to the correct number on the guage (I have the numbered guages on both sides of the mast). I can just tell the crew, "Downhaul to 10" and they know exactly where to put it.

The loop takes up most of the excess line - I've never had a problem with it trailing in the water. The free end of the downhaul is above the jib traveller lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt: Thanks so much...I understand completely! I knew I could count on you, and I really appreciate your sharing of knowledge, experience, and humor on these web lists! I met you at MWE in Ocean Springs MS back in April. Unfortunately, I was only able to observe your (and Bill Jeffers') techniques briefly at the starts! Once...in my best race... from a great distance....I think I even saw you finish (never saw Bill)!

I've heard MWE will be in Panama City FL in March...hope to see you again there. Thanks again!

Jerome Vaughan
Clinton, Mississippi

Post subject: H16 downhaul digital pic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have a final digital picture of the configuration they would like to share. Or is there an endorsed web site that has a sample posted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's in the 2005 Hobie Catalog, page 37.

You can download it here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/36_37.pdf