Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Standing Up in a PA??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standing UP in a PA seems to be a bit of a strugle with a bad knee and a very low center of gravity.. How do you guys/gals do it? Or a better questions would be will a rope tied to the front handle be ok? Will the handle hold up to a pull of about 200 pounds?? Matt where are you? Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 6.1' - 235lbs and I have no problems standing up in my PA. I even fly fish standing up with no issues as long as it's a relatively calm day. The PA is pretty hard to tip but you can fall out of any boat. Just be careful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bradfitz wrote:
I am 6.1' - 235lbs and I have no problems standing up in my PA. I even fly fish standing up with no issues as long as it's a relatively calm day. The PA is pretty hard to tip but you can fall out of any boat. Just be careful.

My problem is the weakness of my knee... I am unable to stand up from such a low position without some help. But thanks for your response.. What I want to know is if the front handle will allow me to pull on a rope and not damage the handle... Sorry for the vageness of the question..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rope isnt a bad idea, I use my rod holder for a brief hold jsut to get in the standing position.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you can use the rope tied to the front to help get you up. :shock: I understand your issue. I also have a problem with the onset of "old age" mobility. I can still get up to a standing position in the PA but it's a challenge. You won't be putting your full weight on the handle doing it as you're suggesting or asking. I'd recommend trying to get the rope to stay back nearest the hull and not out on the end of the handle. I think you'll probably be more "steadying and hoisting" at the same time. Your legs and probably the free arm will do most of the work but the rope will give you the jump start. The angle you'll be employing won't put near the weight/stress on the handle as when lifting the PA..... Saying won't is foolish. Just try to keep any stress on the handle near or below normal carrying weight. Good luck. Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakkingaway wrote:
I think you can use the rope tied to the front to help get you up. :shock: I understand your issue. I also have a problem with the onset of "old age" mobility. I can still get up to a standing position in the PA but it's a challenge. You won't be putting your full weight on the handle doing it as you're suggesting or asking. I'd recommend trying to get the rope to stay back nearest the hull and not out on the end of the handle. I think you'll probably be more "steadying and hoisting" at the same time. Your legs and probably the free arm will do most of the work but the rope will give you the jump start. The angle you'll be employing won't put near the weight/stress on the handle as when lifting the PA..... Saying won't is foolish. Just try to keep any stress on the handle near or below normal carrying weight. Good luck. Hope that makes sense.

Makes real good sense.. I won't be pulling at 200 pounds but more like 50 pounds of pull with a lot of arm lift too...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt are you back at work to answer questions?? Thanks if you are.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

They are out until Sept 1. China

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have what you need. Send me an email direct and I'll shoot you a picture.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinwater skinner wrote:
Standing UP in a PA seems to be a bit of a strugle with a bad knee and a very low center of gravity.. How do you guys/gals do it? Or a better questions would be will a rope tied to the front handle be ok? Will the handle hold up to a pull of about 200 pounds?? Matt where are you? Thanks for any help.

Me-225lbs / 6.2 and I have a set of ram tubes mounted on the side boards. I have used them for a controlled drop into the seat as well as a gentle handle to standup. With a small swell in the ocean I can stand and get seated now without any handle. I was thinking about a quick release belt that would attach to the side boards to keep my feet firm on the deck. Now having been out a half dozen times sighting fish I am ditching the idea. If you plant your feet on the deck and grab the siderail you can pull yourself forwad into a surfer postion. from here standup. keep your knees bent slightly and feet spread for better control.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, I will give it a try, but my knee does work in a fully bent position very welll...

sandydiego wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:

Me-225lbs / 6.2 and I have a set of ram tubes mounted on the side boards. I have used them for a controlled drop into the seat as well as a gentle handle to standup. With a small swell in the ocean I can stand and get seated now without any handle. I was thinking about a quick release belt that would attach to the side boards to keep my feet firm on the deck. Now having been out a half dozen times sighting fish I am ditching the idea. If you plant your feet on the deck and grab the siderail you can pull yourself forwad into a surfer postion. from here standup. keep your knees bent slightly and feet spread for better control.

Steve