Just wanted to add a success story with shroud extenders...
I made a complete set with mast keeper based on the pictures from Hobie and the description above.
Refer to a great diagram here:https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attach ... 263z52.pdf
I made sure that the mast keeper was pretty tight while letting the mast rotate. I wish I'd made it a tad longer than 37 1/2 though... I may make a new one. The first time I attached it I adjusted the downhaul cleat to ensure the keeper is snug.
So it was a fairly windy day on Mission Bay here in SD with gusts up to 15mph. Flying a hull, had everything under control... until I didn't.
Tried to right without popping the shroud extenders and I wasn't getting anywhere. The boat had weather-vaned round pretty quickly with the mast now pointing into the wind.
So popped the first shroud extender. Thinking back on it I can't have had any slack in the rigging since this one was a little tough to pop. Leaned out... bounced a couple of times and up she came.... and over she went... 180 degrees. Those of you familiar with righting will immediately realize my mistake - I hadn't loosened the main sheet.
So now she's got one extender popped and that extender is now on the wrong hull. At this point I figured I was running out of options - and nobody in sight on the bay to help. So despite worrying I was going to demast I popped the other extender, loosened the mainsheet and popped her back up.
So at this point the mast is leaning to one side (maybe 15 degrees off vertical) since I have *both* extenders popped. The bay is fairly small so I hobbled back to shore sheeted out as much as possible which still making headway.
At this point I was pretty worn out but I had the 16 back upright and I was at the beach. I re-shortened the lee extender, rotated the boat 180 degrees to make the other extender leeside and used the trap line to pull while I popped the quick pin back in. I was one hole up on each side versus where I'd originally rigged but it was enough.
Lived to sail another day!
Oh, and turns out my mast doesn't leak!!