Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy folks,

Just received my new Hobie Adventure, in sand color, today. After unwrapping the bubble wrap and the truck driver left, I found a broken rudder assembly. Has anyone else had this problem when their kayak showed up? I have filed a claim with the shipping company, but with the broken rudder it puts me out of commission for awhile until I can get a replacement assembly, which I'm hoping Hobie just sends to me so I can get on the water sooner, and cause me less headache. They should ship the kayaks without the rudder assembly attached, and leave it up to the buyer to put it on. This is to aviod any damage to the rudder system.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:07 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Not a problem I had, so I'm sympathetic to your down time.

Your problem related to payment is where you were FOB (Freight on Board).

That is the point of sale.

If at your dealer's away from you (sounds like it) then it will be up to you to collect damages from the freight company. So FOB dealer site, your probably going to have to pay for a new rudder assembly, then get the $$ from the freight company. If this is the case find out the cost and IMMEDIATE CALL THE FREIGHT company and file a claim. Don't lose your pics!!

If it was FOB your address the dealer will have to collect from the freight company. They will appreciate your pics. In this case getting your rudder device may be quicker.

Your rudder assembly probably got whacked by a fork lift, or truck. Don't know of dismounting it would have helped prevent damage in such circumstances.

Newbies if your buying remotely with shipping as an add on check with the seller and insist on FOB your address. Makes life simpler even if you pay an extra few bucks.

Matt why not surround the rudder with some cheap packaging. Make it stick out a few inches longer so guys driving the forks will advoid it just enough so a whack doesn't occur, or they just hit the packaging material

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks AlohaDan,

Thanks for the info. I know is wasn't KFS who did it, it was the shipping company. They did an outstanding job on my Finace's Adventure that we received two weeks ago. Hers was in great shape and delivered to the house also. And your right, I think Hobie should add some kind of shipping cover for the rudder if they want to ship it installed already. It is very vunerable sticking out like that. Hopefully Hobie will get me an assembly and I don't care who gets the money, its not important, what is important is that I get out on the water soon in my new $1800 Adventure, I'm having withdrawals!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: Hobie's customer service is second to none, and I feel confident they will rectify the problem.

JJ

Post subject: Damage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

I have sent a PM about the rudder. We should be able to ship a replacement on Monday.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)