Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

while returning in the jetty at Mission Bay yesterday I lost the starboard steering of the rudder in my 2009 AI. I was kept off the rocks only by a 270 degree port turn. This would normally be an annoyance but this time could have ended in disaster on the rocks. Reseting the rudder up and locking it back down restored the steering but it failed again 30 minutes or so later. I have the seperate up and lock down cables. Upon inspection I find that when the rudder is straight out, I do have some slack in the left turn cable but not in the right. I'm losing confidence in the rudder and wonder about the control lines durability as well. Any ideas? When should the cable lines be replaced?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

First... are you pulling the down line hard and cleating it there with tension? That is the number one error people do not cleat the rudders down. Everything else is adjustable. You can find all the rudder info in the Mirage forum FAQ or in the support area. Also, seeing your dealer (Fast Lane on Dana Landing) would be a good idea if you need further help.

The lines are spectra and VERY strong.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BG, the are only a few times I have lost "right rudder".

First was when, (as a noobie), I left the line uncleated. (Always bound to happen when a crowd is watching. :oops: )

A couple other times I have experienced combined gusts and quartering seas (stern waves) that simply overpowered the rudder. Too much (and too tight) a sail was the issue there, and this was easily overcome by spilling air and then reefing. (Coming in to land near rocks, I would be partly furled anyway).

Oh - and when the damned rudder pin snapped! :shock:

If sailing counterclockwise is not due to these factors, then there must be slop in your steering lines.

You could have your dealer tweak the steering and up/down controls but I would suggest you make the adjustments yourself. You'll probably regain some confidence in the system after you've inspected it inside-out, calibrated tensions yourself and really understand how it works. The PDF's are quite helpful.

If you do find yourself in that position again, (and the cleat is properly tightened), try putting your daggerboard down full and dragging your paddle (or even your arm) off the starboard side to help it through the turn. Reach them out as far as you can toward the Amas.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt & Captain for your response. There may be something to the quartering seas and full sail. That seems to be a common factor in this and previous failures. As you noted I am new to this and will try reducing the sail area in future attempts. I had wondered what it would take to overcome the rudder control. I'll be much more attentive to strong down tensioning in the cleat and the wind/sail/sea conditions. Gotta admit I'm enjoying this thing and look forward to doing more open sea sailing once I'm better and more confident. As a Newby I can tell you I too have forgotten the rudder cleat and now have even learned not to kick the pedal locks loose when I'm working on the sail. Thanks again for the support.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have several of years of daily sailing with the A.I..... I changed to the TI last month and have had starboard steering problems in any wind over ~6 knots. I know for a fact that I have enough tension on the down rudder line. In fact, over-tensioning the line (pulls the rudder to the left) does not fix this problem. I also know that the rudder is in the full down position when the down line is tensioned. However, it does come up with very little pressure -even when the full down line is FULLY tensioned. I am a full fledged tinkerer, I have not solved this problem yet though. I think that there is merit for some kind of break-away system that locks the rudder down. First I will tie it down and see if that solves the problem. So, what to do?