Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, being new to Kayak fishing i wonder about fish stringers Will they slow down the kayak? Make it hard to contol from being unbalanced? Any kayak fisherpersons here that use fish stringers instead of onboard coolers? After watching the Pro Angler tow other kayaks pretty easily, i would think there would be small kayaklike trailers for gear/ fish storage. Have a way to pull it along side to use it, something similiar to an anchor trolley.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

pa-kettle when i catch a 30" bass or bigger in th summer month i always tether it to th kayak this way th fish is fresh to keep or release.Im a minimalist and don't want to bother with fish coolers and ice.You will have some resistance its not going to tip you over or be way of balance,just make sure it's a short leash you don't want th fish wrapping into your drive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

and it makes great shark bait as well :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hanging anything large over the side will change the tracking of the kayak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, now that you metion it, I will ask... For those of you using onboard coolers, how large? I was going to pick one up for fall salmon fishing and see that the 70-qt size (Outside Dimensions 31"L x 16W x 18H; Inside Dim only 24L x 10W x 12H) may not be big enough for several decent-sized fish. The next larger size is 100 qt (OD 36L x 17W x 17H) which may not fit very well on the back of the PA. So, what are you all using?
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hanging stringers over the sides with fish while moving will definitely cause drag. I'm generally using two or more game clips, and there is a noticable difference tracking and keeping any kind of speed up. Simple solution is just to bring the fish aboard before you move. NEVER had a problem with sharks, and I'm in the salt constantly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Depending on what I'm going for, the season, etc., I will use either a game clip or a cooler. I'd have to say I like the cooler better. Mine is an igloo 48qt. Dimensions at the top are 14x24", and at the bottom 12x22". This allows me to also fit a large milk crate with two rod holders attached in the rear cargo area (with a couple of inches to spare!). With the cooler in the back and the crate in front of it access to either is easy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Try http://surftosummit.com/ they make very nice fish bags (and other goodies) that strap to front hatch. Throw in some ice and you're good to go... The large bag will handle good size fish and keep em cold for the whole day.

Last edited by Halibut hunter on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:06 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had a large mouth bass and 2 crappie on a stringer slow me way down and mess with my tracking. Then there's minnow buckets.....I was moving along so fast and leisurely one day and noticed my minnow bucket had come uncleated...don't know where it came off....but man I was going fast enough to pull a skier without it. I personally just throw a bag of ice in my front hatch and drop fish in there with my water bottles. I think they go to sleep when they feel the cold and they don't jump around like they do in live wells of bigger boats. My water bottles do taste a little sushi-like though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you're fishing slow (drifting, minnows, etc) or intend
to catch just one big fish, then a stringer works great.
Otherwise, you can fahgettaboudit.

I like to troll crankbaits for crappie when they go deep.
You need to maintain about 1.5 to 3 mph to achieve
the right depth and presentation. When I first bought
my PA this Spring, I planned to use stringers to avoid
the big, heavy cooler full of ice on the rear deck. But
after catching just two big crappie and stringing them
off the side, my speed was so reduced that my crankbaits
no longer wobbled or ran to depth. So much for that idea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Using a big cooler is really no problem. It does'nt get in my way at all. The convenience of having it far outweighs the inconvenience of lugging it. Moving it from the car to the PA and back is nothing. Plenty of room for my food and fish and everything kept fresh on an 8hr. trip. I also carry a game clip in the front compartment for all those many, many times when I catch one too big for the box!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I freeze jugs of water (leave room for expansion) and throw them in the front hatch.

Still have ice after a day of fishing in the hot Florida sun. Use a stringer when I want to chum for sharks in the Intracoastal or ocean. Was thinking of insulating the white plastic tub, especially the lid. Has anyone done so?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish in a 28k acre reservoir, and have two rod holders mounted on the black flats on either side. When I catch Bream or Crappie, I use a fish basket and I put the handle over one of the rod holders and then it hangs in the water enough to keep the fish (that I haven't killed getting the dumb hook out of:-) alive and well. Generally I am not moving around much, so the drag isn't generally an issue...I know, I know....I generalize a lot..I digress. But as one of the other posters mentioned, when I head for the take out, I lift the basket into the boat for the few minutes it takes to return.
I do however really like the setup in the picture with the ice chest, rod holders, etc...probably going to make some changes to mine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, just a short shout to say I am excited about the new retro for the steering on the PA. Anyone heard yet about the availability and cost?
Also have been working on setting my boat up like damfisher's. I have redone my milk crate with the rod holders on the side of the crate instead of the back. More efficient I think. I had thought the rod holders behind the seat were in the rod holders molded into the boat...but looking at the picture again, I see they are screwed to the hull, right dam? Could you possibly give us the part numbers so we can get the right holder? Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Those are RAM Revolution rod holders. Model number is 301-RBU, I believe. They work great. Infinately adjustable. Just make sure you keep your rod leashed, especially if you're going after big fish. If you're trolling and a 20lb. striper hits it might flatten that holder down. I've heard some guys rough up the RAM ball with sandpaper for a better grip. I just don't keep my drag set that tightly. Also, You'll want to saw the ends off of the tubes as they're not very deep.
My holders were riveted on by my dealer at purchase. Bolting is fine, too. Probably better, in fact.
I like those crate holders. Strapped them on with zip ties. Nothing wrong with the molded rod holders either, I just like to use them for my net and flag. So far I haven't used the forward rod tubes much. Like to keep the area in front of me clutter-free. Also, I find my rods get trashed up there if I'm encountering bluefish, with blood and partially digested baitfish flying everywhere.