Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebuilding an 18
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have recently purchased my first Hobie and she is an 18. I have sailed a variety of dinghy and catamarans but never an 18. I am currently rebuilding the boat and have it fully dismantled. Some previous owner painted the hulls with an antifouling bottom paint and some small repairs are needed. Due to the small repairs and the need for faring, I am striping, sanding, epoxy priming, epoxy faring, and painting the hulls. I have sent the sails to be cleaned and resined. I have three questions for you experts out there 1) has anyone had to paint a hull for freshwater applications and have a recommendation for cats? 2) Does anyone have a good source for the original specifications on an H18 (not an SX) including jib area, main area, weights, LOA, LWL etc? 3) Any other things that I should consider replacing while I have her in pieces? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on your purchase! Welcome to the club. I am currently rebuilding my H18 (a little each year) too. The first thing I do when I purchase a new boat is replace all the standing rigging. This is cheap insurence. You never know what the previous owner did or in how bad a shape the rigging is in. If you are going to paint the hulls I would also add anchor plates (if you don't already have them) for the cross beams and any of the anchor hardware for the shrouds.

Let us know how the painting and fairing goes. Any tricks or advice would be appreciated since I plan on doing this next winter. This winter was tramp replacement, standing rigging replacement, adding Magnum wings, and misc non-cosmetic hull repairs.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DW,

Hobie 18 specifications
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2178

Hobie 18 line guide
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2177

Hope these links help and ditto Nick, "Welcome!".

What year is your boat? That will help us with specific's to check. :)

Post subject: Painting Hulls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Years ago I painted my Hobie 16 hulls with a sprayable Awlgrip two part polyurathane.

I am planning on painting my Hobie 18 with a brushable Awlgrip two part polyurathane. I hope this spring but it may have to wait until next winter.

Any two part paint with two to three coats will work for you.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice guys, and the links are great. Does anyone know the breakdown of 240 sq ft between the main and the Jib? Also does the 18 handle well without the jib up or is the weather helm excessive and/or does tacking become difficult? Is the trap needed in moderate air or is the boat manageable as a hiking boat under 15k wind? I can’t find any nameplate on the year of the boat that is readable so I don’t know the year, but it is has the older tiller assembly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DWait wrote:
I can’t find any nameplate on the year of the boat that is readable so I don’t know the year, but it is has the older tiller assembly.

Go here to determine the date of manufacture of the hulls:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I find the H18 to be very hike-able under 15 kts, even solo. Granted, I am what I like to refer to as a heavy wind stature (6'3" 260 lbs). The only time I sail her with the jib furled is when coming into the beach. I don't notice any extra weather helm, but I am not really pushing her either. So, I guess I don't have a good answer for that one.

I have found, though, the traps can make for a more comfortable ride on long days. My crew and soon to be wife likes to sit on the edge of the hulls in her trap so she can lean back and get some back support. This year I have installed some Magnum wings I came by and I think they will add lots of comfort to the sailing experience.

DWait, where are you located? Maybe there is someone locally who can help you go over your boat and check for items needing replacement.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 18
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DWait wrote:
3) Any other things that I should consider replacing while I have her in pieces? Thanks.

Check the serial number on the transoms to determine the year, this will shed light on what else to consider.

Post subject: No Jib
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have raced with no jib. My wife & I (Team Bulk at over 400 lbs) raced in a regatta, six Hobie sixteens & a Nacra flipped at the start. Three out of fifteen finished. Winds were only gusting to 32 mph. The 18 is a great heavy air boat.

I have found sailing with out a jib no problem until I tack, then I just turn downwind vs upwind to change directions. I have no helm problems.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net