Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This happened to me a couple days ago. We were pedaling back from the other side of the Bay due to the lack of wind and were in heavy chop from all the power boats. Cindy said she was hearing an odd noise from the base of the mast but couldn't identify the source, so we took it down.

Once home I discovered the mast base plate was completely loose. I simply tightened the screws as described in this thread and the problem was resolved.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I checked mine about 3 months ago, 3 of 4 were loose. Wouldn't a lock washer fix this problem, or am I missing something?

JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Locktite seems to have helped so far for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

From other posts and checking the Loctite website, it looks like Loctite Blue #242 is the way to go. No locking washer was needed.

Does anyone know if there are any torque specs?

Also it seems like a good idea to apply some to other screws that make contact with metal. Especially dissimilar metals.

Aloha,

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JollyGreen wrote:
I checked mine about 3 months ago, 3 of 4 were loose. Wouldn't a lock washer fix this problem, or am I missing something?

JG

JG,

Thought I share some of my reasoning for using Loctite alone: I was considering installing lock washers; but, thought there was a chance that the screw heads may be raised too much and make contact with the base of the sail mast. Also, the use lock washers will introduce another metal that can corrode and be another maintenance issue you need to check.

Just sharing thoughts...

c2y

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting this. My 2010 boat was used as a demo, and I always assumed that I just wasn't used to putting the mast in, and that it would go in easier as I got used to things. I read this post, and checked out the 4 screws. Three of them were quite loose, while the 4th was also a little bit loose. I fixed them, the mast pops in no problem now.

I was a bit surprised to see that this issue could happen in such a new boat. I'm just posting this today to remind people that even if your boat is relatively new, this is something to keep an eye on for regular maintenance. It's simple to check and simple to fix.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aaakkkk! I forgot to check my screws this weekend, (kick, kick).

cliffs2yak, great point about the corrosion problem, especially when tucked away in the dark wet areas of the hull, waiting to attack.

I find it amazing, though whenever something is out of kilter on a boat, how quickly an abnormal sound (a "noise") develops that helps alert you to a problem.

Have you noticed this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for this post Bob. 8)
Yesterday we took our TI out for its sixth trip. Moderate winds were forecast so I thought I'd do this maintenance check. Just as well. Two of the mast receiver base screws were missing and the two that were left were very loose. :?
I had checked them when new and all OK but had neglected to recheck as we had only done some short trips with very little wind.
I carry the TI inverted so the screws were lost. It's difficult getting imperial screws in a metric country and I didn't want to waste sailing time trying to source them. Fortunately I had the Hobie Kayak Rigging kit and in it were the right diameter screws, though too long and too big a head. I was able to cut them down and grind the heads to roughly the right size. I put Loctite on the threads and all went together OK.
We had a wild sail in 15-20 knot winds and experienced NO rudder problems! I did furl the sail. :wink:
I'll be regularly checking these and the rudder screws.
It is disappointing that this long known problem is still happening. I could see no trace of Loctite on the two remaining screws.
Hobie what is going on??? :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Stringy,
I am also in a metric country but on the other side of the globe.
It looks from the name of the screw 1/4-20 x 1/2" that Hobie uses American UTS screws. You can find information on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard
I think this information also could be useful for other screws on the TI that tend to loosen.
The screws are usually referred to as UNC screws.

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK- I remembered to check my mast screws before the big weekend sail.

They were ALL missing!!!

(OK- They did not use them on the pre 2008 mast receivers).

Relieved - that's one less thing to fail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
OK- I remembered to check my mast screws before the big weekend sail.

They were ALL missing!!!

(OK- They did not use them on the pre 2008 mast receivers).

Relieved - that's one less thing to fail.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah yes- you've got the great sand trap mast receiver that eats pool noodles. :wink:

Boka,
Thanks for that info. 8)
I can now hold my head up high and confidently order the right screws at the engineering suppliers! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My AI saw a lot of sailing this summer - and over 2000 miles on a roof rack. Ie, I would say its been tortured and its still in good shape.

However, turns out two of the screws referenced in this thread (screws hold the metal mast male end plate) are gone.

So, I need to buy several more and replace. Someone here mentioned that they were 1/4 inch by 20 and 1/2 inch long. I had no way to get one out to take to the hardware store as a reference (need to purchase a long #2 phillips) but they looked a little smaller than 1/4 inch.

Any confirmation on the screw size and that they are "english" and not metric screws? Or is there an online drawing showing the screw spec? My AI is 100 miles away so Im trying to get the right screws before I head back to where the kayak is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi wait,
The type and dimension (1/4-20 x 1/2" Pan Head) of the mast cup screws are stated by Hobie Cat USA in a Maintenance note in post 6 of
viewtopic.php?p=68667#p68667
The screws are not “English” they comply with Unified Thread Standard which is used in US and Canada. Please se my previous note in this thread about threads.
You will need a 12" or 300 mm screwdriver.

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks!!! Exactly what I needed...

Pictures are from yesterday at 8600 feet elevation in Colorado (noticed the screws missing after sailing)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice sunset...