Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have decided to purchase an I14T but...we found a new 2008 but after investigation it should have the V1 drive. Is that bad? would it be worth paying another $400 for an newer one with the V2? Is $2125 too much for the 2008? I'm also told that the seats in the 2008 aren't as comfortable as the 2009 and newer ones....true or not?

Second part...is the bag that it comes in tough enough to put on top of a vehicle without getting beat to death?

Thanks gang...We fulltime travel in an RV and hate to spend the money on something and find out that another $400 would have been better...

2007 Chevy C5500 Kodiak

Lifetime NRA member
Lifetime Good Sam's Members
Habitat for Humanity volunteers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 2008 should have the "v2" drums and cables. You can tell if the drums look like "Mickey Mouse" ears vs the older drums. The "v2" masts and sprockets arrived in 2009 -- any Drive can be upgraded with this improvement for about $50. You can always upgrade if and when you have a problem with the original parts sometime down the line.

Accessories I would recommend with your $400 savings are (optional) large rudder for much better directional control, plug in cart for easy transport to and from the water, and ST or ST Turbo fins for better pedaling efficiency.

Seating comfort is a personal matter. The 2010 seats have a higher back on the hardshell kayaks, but I don't know if they changed the inflatable seats or not (slightly different seat construction). If so, it doesn't appear to show in the catalog.

The bags have not have rave reviews for toughness, at least with the airline baggage handlers. I would think they would do OK with wind buffeting though, especially with a leading edge slip cover (any auto upholstery shop could make one for you). 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response...I'm assuming that the price isn't too bad since you didn't say so.

2007 Chevy C5500 Kodiak

Lifetime NRA member
Lifetime Good Sam's Members
Habitat for Humanity volunteers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It sounds like you know more about boat prices than I do. No doubt, you'll enjoy whichever one you get!

Sometimes you can save a few extra bucks by buying any accessories (life vests, fins, cart, etc) along with the boat in a "package" deal -- depends on the dealer. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,

I think the combo of the i14T and a RV is a great combo! I've got the i14T, now I wish I could get the van ... they say patience is a virtue. I love this boat and its versatility; I hope you will, too.

A couple of comments: I paid $2000 Canadian for a slightly used 2008 which had the V1 mechanism. In retrospect, I think the price was excellent. I have had no problem with the V1 and I've used the boat a lot. I changed to the turbo fins and was very careful to install them properly so they don't fall off, which can be a problem with the V1s.

The boat weighs about 65 lbs so mounting it up on the roof might be a bit hard on the back. I was looking at various closed rear mounted cargo boxes, which I think the i14T could fit in. When folded, the dimensions are approximately 4 feet x 3 feet x 1.5 feet.

If you do decide on roof-topping, I think the bag and the boat would withstand the wind well. If in doubt, I have packed the boat into a tarp and then into the bag for extra protection (trial for future air travel).

Feel free to ask any questions and happy traveling!

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I meant to add that I strongly agree with Roadrunner who says that the larger rudder is better. Whether using the sail or not, the larger rudder makes a huge difference to handling. If you buy one, there is a special one for the inflatables.

cheers

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've put mine on a roof rack with no damage. Strap it down good so there's no flapping (and tie off the straps so they don't beat your roof into submission).

If you're still concerned, the wind break suggestion is a good one. I've often thought at the first sign of wear I will probably just start tossing it in my roof box on the rack...