Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am looking at getting either an TI or two AI's and cant decide on which. It will be me, my wife and our 3yo daughter. My daughter will ride on the tramp of either boat but my question is, If I get a TI and want to go out by myself is it much different than the AI as far as handling and manueverability goes? It may be a 50/50 thing at the most probably more like 70% together 30% alone. Also what about some type of splash guard or spray skirt? Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I debated the same thing, but we had a different starting point. My wife already owned a Revolution. So it was, sell my traditional kayak, AND the Revolution, and buy a TI, or just sell my kayak and get and AI.

It came down to a couple of factors for us. How often will we REALLY be taking two people. My wife said she wanted to come, but these are wet boats. Was my wife going to come 70% of the time if she was going to get wet 100% of those times? In colder water?

And secondly, the TI is a BIG boat, not easily car topped, and tougher to manoeuvre on the beach sand that I generally launch from.

If you're going to be taking 2 people regularly, the TI is the way to go. If, like me, you need the flexibility of a lighter and more manoeuvrable boat off the water, the AI is a great choice that gives you the option of taking your wife along, although performance will be compromised.

Keep in mind the weight limit of the AI is 350 pounds, while the TI is 600.

For us, the AI works because my wife and I can still go kayaking together as we always have, but now I can go sailing too. She can come, but doesn't usually, which makes the AI the best boat for us. Just because it's a bit smaller and perhaps a bit slower, doesn't mean it's any less fun then the TI. Speed is fun, but the slight difference in speed probably doesn't equal much more fun. If speed equalled more fun Hobie has plenty of faster boats.

Hope that gives you another perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the absolute best combo is one TI and one AI. Then you can both go solo or both in a TI, or all go and take a friend (or two with TI tramps).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think another factor to consider is whether a tandem boat, in general, is a good choice for you. Some couples are just not meant for tandems and need separate kayaks.
My parents, for example, learned long ago after a guided kayak trip that tandem boats are not for them. They refer to them as 'divorceyaks'. They each bought single kayaks and use them together all the time.

I thought the TI would be a perfect boat for them but as soon as they heard 'tandem' they were like 'no way'.

Just saying that a couple should demo a tandem before purchasing one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with both of the above statements. An AI and TI combo will fill all of your needs, and the tandem boats aren't for everyone. My wife and I might get along on a tandem Hobie with the mirage drive, but we'd NEVER work well in a tandem paddle kayak. Those really are divorceyaks!

If you can swing two boats, the TI and AI combo is a good one. When my wife and I kayak together, we're very often right next to each other, but almost every trip, she wants to see something up close that I don't, and vice versa. Sometimes she's taking pictures, and I want to take the scenic route. Two boats allow a lot of freedom, and all of the together time of a tandem boat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We started with 2 AI's and then bought a TI and sold on of the AI's.

Since your daughter is only 3, the same age as our grandaughter, I think it would be difficult to sail a boat and keep track of her.

If you buy the TI now the 3 of you can dail it together. You can take turns controlling the boat and the child. Then get an AI later when you can enjoy the two boats.

The TI is harder to manage than the AI but it is also more fun to sail. I go out a lot by myself and both boats are stored on a trailer in my garage so all I have to do is drag either one off the trailer and leave it at home. I have not sailed the AI since I bought the TI. If I go fishing alone I'll strip the AI down to a kayak and take it.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Buying both is not really an option. I dont want to drop 10 grand on kayaks. I already have a Hobie getaway sailboat and me and my wife do fine on it. I could see the paddle yaks causing a divorce or two. We dont do good in a canoe together. I dont know what to do. I wish I could find a place to demo or rent one to see if we even like it before I purchase one. Anyone know if there is anywhere in Panama city beach FL to rent one? I am going there next week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

av8erdunn wrote:
I dont want to drop 10 grand on kayaks.

I hear that!! If you have to choose 1 boat to do it all, the TI is probably the best one. One thing to keep in mind, how will you transport it? If you need a trailer, it's going to cost you. If you are considering 2 boats (as your original title says) then AI's offer some transport flexibility that a TI might not.

I have no idea if you can rent in Panama City, but maybe there are users here who can take you out in their boats?

Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will get a trailer for it. I actually thing I can rig my getaway trailer to hold the TI under the getaway. If not I have no problem buying a trailer. I will get a used one and adapt it to the TI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As mentioned I think we've all contemplated the various issues between the two boats.

To me I had to consider the following -

1. Assorted launch sites. Surf beach, rivers, lakes. The AI is a handful on the surf beach, I ruled a TI out completely for this launch site because I'd never get it back up a steep dune to my house. I can pull an AI up this dune. The bigger boat would smash me in the surf.

2. It's a wet ride as we all know. My sailing partner has very little interest in sailing when it's cool, whereas living in a sub tropical area I'll sail all year round.

3. Some days it can be hard to think about loading/unloading and general handling an AI down to the water. I think a TI would have me golfing more on those days.

4. An AI easily takes a passenger.

5. I didn't want a trailer (or $800 worth of racks to car top it). It goes on a Hatchback with normal surfboard racks.

6. I like life to be simple.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since that's decided, I can ask OasisGuy:

Have you tried using 2 sets of hobie beach wheels to negotiate steep terrain yet?

I think you can put a set on both ends, and adding a bow line to the front handle can also make moving, launching and landing a loaded AI much easier on the back.

The Amas can be folded to the front as well, if they tend to drag going uphill. Would any of that help?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same issue (wife and daughter), I went with the TI. I thought that next year I could get the AI if they family want to sail independently. I am interested which one you went for; is any?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Since that's decided, I can ask OasisGuy:

Have you tried using 2 sets of hobie beach wheels to negotiate steep terrain yet?

I think you can put a set on both ends, and adding a bow line to the front handle can also make moving, launching and landing a loaded AI much easier on the back.

The Amas can be folded to the front as well, if they tend to drag going uphill. Would any of that help?

Good point NOHUHU. I can skull drag the hull only up the dune on the Trax2 and then make a couple of more trips for the other bits, but I want to be able to load a complete rig on wheels for transport from carparks etc and then over sand.

I bought a C-Tug trolley the other day (Hobie couldn't supply a H/D cart) and it's a good unit. It'll take a huge load and isn't reliant on scupper holes, sitting on 'seats' instead which of course can be positioned anywhere under the boat to get a good balance of load. I could put the C-Tug up front and the Trax2 where it belongs.....and then I could rig up a chain/gear set and drive it to the launch site......or road sail it !....hmmmmm....may want to steer it also at some point ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

av8erdunn,

I don't know where you live but I'm just south of Jacksonville, Florida and have a TI & an AI. If you're ever in my neighborhood I'd be happy to take you out sailing.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That sounds great dosjers. I think we may be going to Disney World next month and I could probably stop by if you wouldnt mind. I live in Mobile, AL but I will be driving right thru Jacksonville if we go. If we dont get to go I might make a weekend trip out of it here in the next month or so. I am sure there is something we can find to do around there.