Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've just gotten an old H18 without trailer, and wanted to know if I can move it on my Highlander H16 trailer. I don't need to move it very far. The H18 is disassembled, and having fiberglass repairs done to the hulls. The specs say that it is only 1 inch wider across the beam than a 16, so I think it should fit. Any advice or experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's not the width you have to worry about - it's the length.

Beware of "shark bites" in the turns - where the bow of the boat will hit the side of the tow vehicle in a sharp turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Highlander should work ok I have had a couple and I don't think they have different sizes. I would follow what Matt said and make sure you can fit the boat on the trailer with proper balance (a little bit of tongue weight).
You may have to move the rollers or cradles to fit the hulls. If you have rollers you may want to put some foam or pads between the roller and hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One way I have helped alleviate the "Shark bite" is to move the mast as far forward a possible and the boat as far aft as possible. This helps keep some tounge weight on the hitch while moving the hulls away from teh tow vehicle. Keep in mind that "as possible" means still balanced properly.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: 18 vs 16 trailer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They used to do this all the time in the mid-west region right out of the supplier, however this is fine for a too the beach for the summer then return for the fall type of travel, but, if you plan on using your trailer more than this you would be wise to get a new 18 trailer and here's why. Yes the shark bite thing, which can be over come with repositioning of the boat and mast or, purchasing a longer front main tube, however take these facts, the weight is much higher if old than I think 1985, the hulls post 1983 started to get some what thin ie. lighter so the need for double wheeled or full set of hull cradles are required, even if your boat is a pre 1985 one should have this hull support system. Also with this added weight 12" wheels are the best. So if you want to do it right and keep from repairing your hulls all the time save up the bucks and get a made for 18' trailer and ad on the 12" wheels and the double support wheels, or those cradle systems. I bit the bullet after I refinished my hulls and on the very first time out I got bit and a hole in the under side trying to bring the boat back up in high winds, I learned my lesson.
good luck my trailer is a Genensis 18'
harv :wink: